Moving......

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

Moving......

by breaknrun911

So.........I live in Maryland and I'll be moving to Georgia (supposedly) in the next couple of months.

What are my options for my tank? Get rid of all the specimens and start fresh when I get there?

Move them myself?

Hire a company to do all the packaging and shipping?

jweb

by jweb

well if you are driving you can just package your fish in a tuperware container of some sort with heat or cold packs, and get there fast, set up your tank, acclimate them, and put them in. if not, then well i guess you should probably sell your fish or atleast give them to someone who can take care of them.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I agree with j web, plastic containers with a heater. If you can afford to have them shipped it might not be a bad idea to ship some of your fish but I dont think it would be necessary.

jweb

by jweb

If you are worried about the water quality degrading during the trip, make some water up so you can change the water out half way.

This is the thing, if you are going to setup your aquarium when you get there, you might as well take your fish. So just take them with you. Try to make a reasonably quick trip, i think that trip is about 18 hours, so it should be okay. I would definately change out the water though half way.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

Ok cool. I was actually trying to take them with me and package them the way dealers do. The big styrofoam boxes and use an air compressor so they get 100% oxygen. thanks guys

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Just make sure the last thing you do is take down the tank. And its the first thing you put back up. as long as you keep your filtration wet and everything else okay and warm you should be fine. no biggie. If your afraid of nitrate spikes and you trust you lfs. You could get them to ship your stuff to you a week later when everything has settled a little. I know mine would do it for me.....but everyone is different.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

Yeah my LFS would charge me an arm and a leg. It would be more expensive to have them do it as opposed to me accidentally killing my fish on the way down and buyin new ones.

jweb

by jweb

You know that an air compressor does nothing but circulate the water right? It doesn't actually add oxygen.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

yeah i know that im going to bag them like my LFS do. and fill the bag with O2 im not ganna use it for the circulating of water

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

put water from your tank in styro phone box's with a battery powered air pump. the phome boxes will keep it at the right temp for at least12 hours. keep all the tank water so you can put it in when you get there. remember to keep your Live rock wet and Ur substrate submerged, otherwise Ur bacterial properties will die off.
how far is the trip

Moving......

11 posts • Page 1 of 2