Heater Issues

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

Heater Issues

by dizzcat

Hey everyone,
I am having problems and hope someone can help. I have 2 heaters that are "preset" to 78 degrees. They are Tetra Submersible Heaters. Problem is, the tank stays about 74 degrees. I have one for a 5-10 gallon (50 watt), and one for a 10-20 gallon (100 Watt), both are in my 10 gallon fry tank. Even with two of them the temp is still at 74.

Fry and eggs need a warmer temp to grow and I am wondering if there is anyway to reset these heaters? Can you take the top off and reset it higher?

This is the piece of junk I have. I don't recommend them to anyone!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16756

kelbri

by kelbri

Well, the webpage says "78°F (±2°)", so since you have 2 of them installed, it's -4° ;)

I'm not sure about reseting it. You may just have to pull the top off and see. Personally though, if it's in your fry tank, I would say splurge and get a nicer one, that you can adjust the temp on.

jweb

by jweb

I would say it is just a piece of junk heater and thats that. I had a heater before that was soo crappy it would all of a sudden heat up the tank super high then back down overnight. I dont use it anymore. its garbage.

Now I have a kickass heater that is made by Rena. It's the Rena smart heater. It is very accurate and holds the temp to exactly what you set it at. It will hold the temp within decimals of a degrees. It was about $40 for a 50 watt thats rated to 20 gallons, but wellllll worth it. It is even less wattage than what I should for my 29 gallon and it still works like a charm. It is heated from the inside so no fish get overheated when they are near it. You can even hook it up to a filter or near an intake from a power head and it will disperse the heat and make it even more accurate. They are made to perfectly fit the rena filters, but mine is hooked up to my aquaclear and it works perfectly. I suggest this heater 110%. Go out and pay the extra money, you will NOT regret it.

Plus it is all black and blends perfectly with my background and you can barely notice it is even there.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=18444

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

I have the same problem, with the same heaters. Except mine are set on the lowest temp setting which is like what?......68 degrees? well the orange bulb in the heater doesnt turn on but the heater stays on and just heats the water and bakes my fish. I highly dont recommend these heaters

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

As kelbri pointed out almost any heater is given a +/- of at least 2 degrees due to calibration. Elevation, shipping, any many other factors can set the thermostat off a few degrees in these little devices. I've used rena smartheaters in both of my tanks for almost 2 years now and am happy with the results.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

get yourself a jagar. They are sweet. and my temp is on the nose at any time of the day. I have a 150 and it keeps my 29 plus my 20 sump a solid 78 all day and all night.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Problem is, absolutly no extra cash to get a new one right now. So hoping I can reset the ones I have :-(

fihsboy

by fihsboy

damn that sucks I know how it goes man.

jweb

by jweb

you can do a warm water change for free =)

kelbri

by kelbri

I know the feeling dizz.

My heater is the one that came with my TopFin tank from PetSmart. 100W Neptune. I can't find them anywhere on the net though, so makes me think that they are made just for TopFin. Works like a charm though, keeps everything solid at 80. I would suggest getting one as soon as you can afford though. Either that, or start keeping goldfish ;)

Heater Issues

12 posts • Page 1 of 2