LIVE ROCK LOVE!

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

LIVE ROCK LOVE!

by eazy4647

WELL we show love and attention to everything in our tanks. my question is. wat steps can be taken to show our live rock some love. how can i take better care of it maybe? treat it better. so it will show more color? put ur ideas here. any are welcome.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

turkey bast all the holes out weekly with tank maitnece.if you get pesk hair,matts of green/brown you could scrub lightly with a tooth brush{lightly} not to scrub coriline

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Strong and very steady Calcium levels are greatly appreciated when it comes to live rocks.Nice corallines will start growing sooner or later if you maintance a good CA level.I also noticed more successful coralline when I stabilized my magnesium level. Actually there's no trace elements that would hurt your live rock, it's pretty much common sense, but the Calcium is the most important.
Good waterflow around the rocks will also help. Removes the dissolved organics, detritus from your rock and let them "breath" again. Introduce Trochus(turbo) snails to your rocks, and for your tank, because they are great on green film algaes. Probably there's more helpful hints, but what do you accept from a guy called Dick_Headers?

eazy4647

by eazy4647

so wat about the light? should i keep the regular light or the actinic blue light?

angus4481

by angus4481

antics are mostly for representing the dust n dawn effect.(fish go crazy for it, so do corals) but unless you have fish that are nocturnal, it shouldnt be used all day. switch back n forth, in the morning and the night. ive just started using the antics n i noticed a big improvement. my coraline algea is thick n thriving, and my fish are more active.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

also high alkilinity, coraline algae's skeleton is made of carbanate. so coraline uses carbonate to lay the skeleton.coraline algea in soft coral domanated tanks . will use more calcium/alkilinity then soft corals in most cases. assuming you have coriline covered rocks.

tarpon

by tarpon

can you explain that in greater detail? like, do I take down my beautiful(lol) castle of live rock and blow out the holes into a bucket or leave them in? thanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

leave them in the tank..blow out every thing you can get to with a turkey baster or a power head. the pours on your rocks will quickly fill up with detritus.

tarpon

by tarpon

thanks.

jav36

by jav36

ive never tried it but i heard "purple up" is good for coralline algae and makes your rock look really nice....when i get a chance im gonna try it

anyone else ever try it?

LIVE ROCK LOVE!

10 posts