Changing from CC to Sand

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tizz

Changing from CC to Sand

by Tizz

I have changed out all my crushed coral for a 2" sand bed, and I need to know some things. First, how long until I can re-introduce my Live Rock. The majority of the sand storm is over, but the water is still cloudy. My problem is that I can not operate my sump until I raise the water level. I am currently running my canister to clear things up. Also, what is the best sand size to use?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

u took your rocks out?

Tizz

by Tizz

Yes, I took everything out, but I am trying to keep all original water. I have the LR in a tote with a heater.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

lol...sorry..put the rocks in the water and get your tank running. why did you take them out?

Tizz

by Tizz

I took out everything, had to get too 4" of CC bed. Plus the storm was horrible.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

when you put your rocks in move the sand so the rocks rest on the bottom of the tank . that will prevent packing. also i like aragonite its not to fine,less packing and fish can make burrows.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

do you have a micron bag?

Tizz

by Tizz

I have bags on my bulkheads leading from my overflows (in sump). They are the mesh sock type, not the compact material. I have a pad over my bio ball chamber (switching to LR rubble after calm down).

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

micron bags are nice they will clear a tank right before your eyes. no matter how dusty

Changing from CC to Sand

9 posts