Bubbles

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Bubbles

by natalie265

A couple of days ago, i added a little DIY CO2 system to my 30 gal tank. Does anyone know how many bubbles per minute i should be getting out of it? I kind of expected a continuous stream of bubbles, but i'm only getting about 5 or six per minute.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you will have to try and experiment with what works best for you......monitor your ph and make sure that you dont have any big swings and makesure that you aeriate at night so you do not soffacate your fish, and also keep in mind it takes about 18hours for the mixture to actully start producing a steady amount of co2 so when you see thing starting to slow down mix up another batch, i would say if you have the money i would go with a preasurised system they are much more accurate

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think I was a bit conservative about the yeast measurement I use, its actually not 1/8th tbsp its closer to just a little under 1/2. The more yeast you use, the more bubbles, but the faster it will burn off its energy supply (sugar) and die. You should be getting at least 2 bubbles every 4-5 seconds. In a tank your size you may want to get another kit and stagger the time you activate each then you'll always have CO2 going in and your levels won't spike when the solution dies in one.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I feel a little intimidated by pressurized CO2. I don't think i'm ready to take that leap yet. Actually, i couldn't afford it if i wanted to. I like the idea of getting two systems going. When you say aerate at night--do you think i need more aeration than is provided by my filters? What if i disconnected the CO2 air tube at night--would that be a workable solution?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

no, generally CO2 addition causes ph to fluctuate, as the solution winds down naturally the ph gradually returns to whatever its naturally buffered to, however with two systems going that fluctuation would be minimal especially if you get a nice overlapping system down. I wouldn't recommend completely disconnecting them for a whole night.

I think as long as your filters are breaking surface tension enough (not so much as to completely gas off CO2 during the day) you shouldn't worry about aerating unless you're adding way too much CO2. With two systems going you won't have to add quite so much yeast to each canister and each solution will last longer. Plants do consume oxygen when the lights are off but as long as your surface tension is broken there should always be oxygen going into your water column.

As far as liquid ferts I would continue to dose as directed on the bottle.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

The bubbles have picked up now to about 1 bubble every 3 or 4 seconds! Thanks for the advice! I'll keep checking my Ph levels and will look to add a second system in the future!

BIGPHIL787004

by BIGPHIL787004

it dosent matter with the night time. you can leave on your cos machine. i use yeast for my tanks in 2 i liter bottles of fleischmans fast rise yeast with a cup 1/2 sugar. pour in warm water and shake vigorously then attach it to a bubble counter than to a small powewrhead. a have at it. it''s good for about ten days. moitor the bubble couter though for evaporation. next have good lighting, i use a 4 bulb t5 setup with 2 6500k 1 10000k and 1 actinic for color. cooler water round 75 degrees and use tablet fertilizers from aquariumplants.com such as trace, iron and total. 1 time a month for best results. i use 2 magnum 360 canisters with one with a overflow connection by jungle products. dont listen to using low flowing water, put a small powerhead in also for water mov't . good lucka and check out my pics

Bubbles

7 posts