new light?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

somalia123

new light?

by somalia123

i currently have a pc light fixture 2x65.i have a 37 gallon tank and i am thinking about getting a current 4x24 t5ho fixture. do you think i will be able to keep acros and sps with this light?

schigara

by schigara

Yes. As long as each bulb has it's own reflector. SPS are not all the same in the light intensity they require.

I have some SPS that bleach and won't grow near the surface and others that dull out and won't grow unless they are close to the surface. T5HO's can produce as much light as halides but being 24watters, they are a bit on the weak side. You can still keep SPS but you, like all sps keepers, will have to experiment with placement and depth.

I have an Efflorescens coral that started off as 3 small chips and I placed them high in the tank under the halides and they just encrusted a bit over a 5 month period. I read that they needed less light so I went to the other extreme and place it at sand level and has now started to branch nicely in just a month.

I don't think you'll see great coloring or growth but I think you could keep them.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You could get a deepwater acropora with what you have now. along with others. Not all sps require a ton of light. I have a green birdsnest that was under 2 400 watt halides at the lfs for three months........put it in my tank with lighter lighting and the colors took off. Sometimes a little less light is better. So that T5 set up should work just fine for you! I know having a 37 sucks! I have a 29 and its the same lovely 30 inches. I have 4 24" VHO bulbs. coming in at 300 watts. im building a new hood now.....because mine looks like hell.......and im going to put 4 standard 20 watt actnics in with a 250 halide. Probably. Unless you have gone off the deep end like I have....that T5 lighting would be perfect. Im addicted to making my system grow corals like they are on steriods.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... lbs_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

I am ordering this soon ! haha I hate Powercompacts...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Ha the link dont work..ATI powermodule 6 x 54..

new light?

5 posts