Volitan Lionfish won't eat

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

So I finally converted my tank to saltwater and I recently bought a Volitan Lion. I was told that they sometimes need to be enticed to eat once in a new tank. I bought frozen krill and I have watched the krill pass right by the lion. The lion watches it but never eats it. How do I get him to eat it? I was thinking of buying feeder fish or live shrimp but my monos wld eat all of them before the lion ever saw them. Any ideas?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

it would probably go wild for a nice live feeder fish. Buy one......if he doesnt eat it...you wasted 33 cents. oh damn. If you can get live shrimp.....that would be even better! You can also soak the fish in some garlic extreme.....it encourages growth.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

LOL! $0.33, shoot I got that thanks to some kray-z drunk guy who gave me $10 the other day! First time I have ever been given $ by a drunk guy! I am usually am asked for $, not given it! I will try the feeders and see if he eats.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha now thats sweet! I wish that would happen to me. I must look like a sucker......because I ALWAYS get asked for money. And most of the time I dont give it.......i buy them dinner or something. Yeah man, and try the garlic extreme......that will entice ANY fish.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

What a difference live food makes! I put in some ghost shrimp and the lion went from ornament to killer mode right away!!! The garlick extreem looks like good stuff. I will look for it at my LFS. I will continue to buy live shrimp and guppies but I hope the garlick will entice him to eat frozen food as well. I am new to saltwater and Lions in general. How many ghost shrimp do you think a 3 inch Lion should eat in a feeding?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

one a week maybe two

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ok he will eat as much as you feed him. you have to regulat it. feed him once a day about 12 ghoust shrimp. do not over feed you will kill him for he will eat intill his stumic explods. when he git nice and comfy to the tank buy your self some shishkabob sticks and tray feed him silversides of freez dryed krill. just remember if you try and force him he wont eat. good luck

fihsboy

by fihsboy

12 a day! HOLY CRAP! Thats a HUGE bio load man. Is that what you feed yours?

Tien6079

by Tien6079

After all the research I have done that sounds like a ton of food! I fed him a ghost shrimp and a baby guppie a day and a half ago and his stomach is still bulging. He is only 3 inches.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

lol my bad i thought you had a larger one. and mine thay between the 2 of them thay git 4 duzzen at a shot and about 3 jumbo krill a day. your feed is good at that size lol i was thinking a 5 incher or so

10 posts