Maiden's Hair algae

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lionlord3502

Maiden's Hair algae

by lionlord3502

ok how the hell do i git ride of it. it is starting to destroy my tank and it need to go i got a neso tang and it dont look like he has any interest in it. please help and i keep lion fish so something thay wont eat

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

are you still copping it hard buddy with that algae. Mate maybe a last resort is to scrub in salt water and a scrubbing brush each individual rock, drastic and will have to re scape rocks but maybe only option left.
Have you got a fuge.
Try having it on with heaps of lights 24/7 and really reduce ur feeding to nearly nil for a week or to??????
worth a try
still prune while you fuge and no food but.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

hey there is a post on here about a scrubber. read last post describing how it removed all there hair algae in weeks/
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/vie ... r=asc/s/15

newbie916

by newbie916

I scrubbed my rocks about a month ago per puffs advice I believe. I transferred all of my livestock into a new tank setup and have been hair algae free for a month. I used a new toothbrush and scrubbed all 150 lbs of live rock. It took 14 hrs to complete the project.

somalia123

by somalia123

i am also suffering from a hair algae infestation and i have heard if you raise you magnesium to 1500 ppm and keep it there for about three weeks the hair algae with die and fall off. i think the reason i got hair algae in the first place was i had my lights on for to long, so you might want to look into that.

schigara

by schigara

Somalia123,

Elevated magnesium has only worked on Bryopsis and even then, Kent Tech M has shown the best results.. Bryopsis looks like tiny feathers. From a distance, hair algae looks just like Bryopsis. Elevated magnesium has shown no effect on the average hair algae.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

...........uhh sure............I understood that. :)

schigara

by schigara

Sorry Fishboy,

I tried condensing a post that has run for about 2 years on reef central.

A lot of people confuse hair algae with bryopsis and assume that what works on bryopsis, also works on common hair algae. It doesn't.

Here's the original thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... id=1113109

fihsboy

by fihsboy

AHHH, okay! Thank you sir. That clears it up for me. :) I appreciate it. You should be a professor, you confuse me more than my biology teacher. haha!

schigara

by schigara

Heh. Your welcome. I like to teach the little bit I do know, but I am not a good teacher and I know this.

Maiden's Hair algae

19 posts • Page 1 of 2