red slime algae

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

red slime algae

by breaknrun911

Im beginning to get a little bit of red slime algae in my tank. I dont want to put any foreign liquids in the tank (ex.red slime killer) and kill me nems etc. What can i do? i have great water circulation so nothing should be accumulating in the bottom of the tanl.

Please help!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have the same problem....I have a little.......and a refugium full of macro algae....So any help would be appreciated. Yes it would. :)

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Fihsboy: Is the red slime Cyno bacteria? if so, do you run the lights on your refugium 24/7 or half days (or reverse lighting. main tank off refugium on)?

The reason why I ask is I used to run my refugium lights 24/7 and then I read about keeping the refugium lights on at night when the main tank lights are off so I tried this method (hoping to save some money on electric) after about a week I noticed cyno bacteria was coming back so I reverted to my old routine and the cyno is starting to go away agian. It may be coincidental but it works for me. You may want to try it.

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

I had a really bad out break in my eyes but now looking back it could have been worse but killing you dt and fuge lights for 3 days works really well and it won't hurt the coarl or fish or macro algea at all

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

would running with no lights put a dent in the green hair algae too??????? that crap is driving me crazy !!!!!! and i have a couple spots of the red as well, no corals

Boss

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Snowboss: I've read that the green hair algae is pretty hardy and even if you kept your lights off for several days when you do put them back on the green stuff will grow again. Best solution to your problem is to get snails they eat a lot of algae.

newbie916

by newbie916

The way I got rid of my green hair algae was a little drastic. I bought a new tank:) heehee What I did during the transfer was pull every piece of green hair algae off and used a new tooth brush to scrape the roots out. It took 14 hrs to do the tank transfer, but it was well worth it. My tank has been green hair algae free for over a month now. I've also noticed that my long spined urchin has helped with the algae control.

I used to have red slime in my old tank every once and a while and I use Chemi-Clean Red Slime remover. I was worried about my nem's and corals, but it didn't phase them at all.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah man im running a reverse light cycle on the fuge. Ill try that. Ill take it off the timer. Thing is....its only growing in the fuge......and it pulls out nitrates and phosphates so quickly I dont want to pull it yet.....could it be a good thing in the fuge?

gumbii

by gumbii

i had some cyanobacteria in my tank from the start... it came on a rock... it started to spread all over the sand and glass...

i used cyano away powder... or i forgot what it's called... my LFS dude said that i would just need to treat it once... fail... i had to treat it three times... and i still have some...

the second time it returned it was all over my refugium... but now i just have a small patch that never grows... i upped the water flow, and lowered my feedings to once every two days... now i get no algae, but i still have trace phosphates... more fail...

good luck...

gumbii

by gumbii

oh it was the chemi-clean stuff...

red slime algae

15 posts • Page 1 of 2