Whats the difference?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

Whats the difference?

by breaknrun911

Whats the difference between a false percula clownfish and a true percula clownfish?

gumbii

by gumbii

ocellaris amphibi pron and percula amphibi pron...

completely different species... but the main difference is the the black lines are usually thicker in the percula... but sometimes the ocellaris will have they too...

the number one way of telling them apart is by counting the dorsal spines... i believe percula's have 11-12 dorsal spines, and ocellaris have 9-10... or something like that... i can't remember...

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Scientific Name: Amphiprion ocellaris
Family: Pomacentridae
Common Names: Ocellaris Clownfish, False Percula Clownfish

Description:
Ocellaris clowns are recognized by an orange background and 3 white bars that ring the fish. Their fins are edged in black except for the dorsal fin. The white areas may have a thin black line around the perimeter. True Percula Clownfish have a thicker black border around the white areas. The orange coloration is light and even when they are small. As the fish mature, they may darken on the upper 2/3's of their body to an orange brown.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

The Percula Clownfish, also known as the True Percula, or Clown Anemonefish, is normally found in association with anemones on the reefs of Oceania, the Indo-Pacific, and the Great Barrier Reef. It can be found individually, or more commonly, in pairs or small groups within the same anemone such as Heteractis magnifica or Stichodactyla mertensii. Tank-Bred Percula Clownfish are usually mostly orange and white when young. As the fish matures the black sections between the white stripes will darken with age. Tank-Raised specimens differ from their wild-caught counterparts in that their stripes are often irregular. These characteristics add to the uniqueness and appeal of these fish.

The Ocellaris Clownfish is often confused with the Percula Clownfish. Unless you are experienced with both fish, they are difficult to tell apart. The True Percula is a very bright orange, whereas, the Ocellaris tends to be more drably colored. The Percula Clownfish also has a thicker black outline to its white body stripes.

Percula Clownfish are wonderful fish to maintain in groups. Their beautiful colors and likable personalities make them a wonderful addition to reef aquariums.

Tank-bred clownfish are very hardy and durable fish making them a perfect addition for the novice or seasoned aquarist. The Percula Clownfish is a good candidate for a reef aquarium. If introduced to the aquarium at the same time, many varieties of tank bred clowns can be maintained together in the aquarium.

Tank-bred clownfish are easy to breed in the home aquarium. The females will be the largest of the pair, and two fish will usually stay close to each other in the aquarium. These fish are egg layers and will deposit the eggs on a flat surface, and defend the eggs from other tank mates. The eggs will normally hatch in 6-11 days depending on the temperature. The fry must be reared in a separate aquarium on a diet of rotifers then baby brine shrimp.

In nature, the Percula Clownfish is an omnivore. In an aquarium, it will readily accept most meaty foods and herbivore preparations.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

I cant tell with mine. Can some one please go onto my profile and look at the close up of my clown and determine the difference.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

just checked your profile and in my opinion i believe they are ocellaris clowns (false)

Whats the difference?

6 posts