brown and green algea on glass

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

memphis

by memphis

Tank has been up for about 9 months, my nitrates have always stayed at about 20, but now they have gone up to 60 and 80. 55gal tank. diatoms are on the glass but also Coralline algea is going which is good. Why do i still have diatom . All my other parameters are fine, except for my nitrates. I do water change every 3-4 weeks about 20 gallons. I use r/o water for top off and salt mixing. Light are on for 6 hours they are mh. i feed my fish once a day (bout a pinch of flake and 1 cubed of fozen mysis.

What am i doing wrong?
Why are my nitrates so high?
Please Help.

memphis

by memphis

i also use 2 caps of phyto. wondering if i should cut feeding to every other day

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

try weekly water changes,5 gallons a week.That should bring nitrates down some. and reduce algae growth. All tanks will get light brown/green growths on glass/sand.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

cleaning crew???

and a mag float glass cleaner

memphis

by memphis

Yes have a cleaning crew and also have a mag float glass cleaner. I have to use the float glass cleaner every day b/c it is built up by the time i get home. if i leave it go a couple days its like rust on metal, hard to get off. also, i have some type of green alge on the glass that is hard to get off.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

May want to add some more snails. Also may be feeding a little on the heavy side, try cutting back a bit and see if that helps.
How much is you skimmer producing daily?
Keep scraping it. I scrape my glass once or twice a week, some algae growth is normal.
Also consider a lawnmower blenny, it will eat the green stuff.

newbie916

by newbie916

I agree with everyone else. I have the same issues of diatom algae and it's normal to have some. I usually use my mag float every day to get off the little spots of diatom here and there. Just make sure that you don't get green hair algae and get rid of it ASAP. That stuff is wicked. Try small weekly water changes as Puff mentioned and cut back on your Phyto. I usually only feed phyto to my 95 gallon and 30 gallon fuge 1/2 a capful every other day. That's what was causing my nitrates to spike to 40. After I cut the phyto and roto back my nitrates stay between 10-20. I know that 0 is ideal, but I have three large tangs that I really like.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

hey i have something in my sand that is spreading and its a lime green color... no idea what it is, its only right next to the glass, area about 3 in by 2 in, looks someone put a dye in my tank or somethin

8 posts