Ratings System and Some Idiots

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Rodricke

by Rodricke

Since I joined a little over 2 months ago, I have been watching the points / scoring system with interest and watching old tanks vs new tanks and how they fair. Now for one, before I started this amazing hobby I did alot of internet research and came across this site which has offered me a wealth of knowledge info ideas suggestions etc. When I had decided I was going to by my first tank I paged through the gallery and got ideas on how to set my tank up. I used it as a platform to design my tank if you will, but then to add my own personel touch (besides that was this is about personal reward) and try improve on aspects I had seen. I have watched how scores fluctuate as if people are down scoring other tanks rather than give them fare appraisal based on effort, visual appearance, habitat qualities and chosen fish species and the according tank set up. There is no point having a malawi cichlid tank and you put in 1 rock or fill it with plants. This is not a competition BUT more a web site for the appreciation of this hobby and the effort people have put into their aquariums. If an aquarium deserves a good score score it so DO NOT DOWN SCORE IT JUST TO BOOST YOUR RATING. There are those out there who are doing this. Rather not get involved in an interactive site such as this WE DON'T NEED YOU If you can't add value don't bother adding anything

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi Rodricke...your tank is lovely; very nice!

Sometimes it can be very frustrating to watch how the scores fluctuate on this site. Most people do not understand how the scoring system works and also most people do not understand how true aquarists operate and therefore the scores are not a true representation of how good some tanks are.

I use this site as a site that offers many varied ideas and inspiration; but it certainly does not rate tank accurately...i agree...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Fortunately the actions of some don't outweigh everything. Because these 'some' are victims themselves. Some of the best looking tanks on this website average out at 8 or less when they should be receiving 9.5-10.
Generally the incremental percentages (thanks to those who rate honestly) still leave most of them on the top of the ladder given enough time.
I hear you though. I don't think I belong in the top 300 planted tanks, honestly. But I have put a lot of hard work into it, which will probably soon be annihilated by a few weeks of out-of-control cyanobacteria. lol So I'm thankful to those who think it looked so well (at least in the last picture I posted)...my poor plants are being smothered. :(

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I wholeheartedly agree, this tank doesnt even have a rating of seven!!! That's a 10 in my opinion.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/23691

Rodricke

by Rodricke

To give you an example I was rated 1. Now don't get me wrong I am not doing this because of my own ego rating. Like I mentioned in the beginning this site is not a competition BUT an apreciation of this hobby and the efforts some people go to. I look at tanks were people have made a huge effort and put lots of thought into the layout and they sit with a 4.5 and then a 12 gallon tank with no decor no gravel / substrate dirty water and 10 large oscars stuffed init and it gets 3.75 It's a joke A tank might not be up my alley or the type of tank that interests me BUT I appreciate the effort and rate accordingly, besides this site is ratemyfishtank not rate my malawicichlidtank or oscartank or guppytank or whatever There are no prizes. To be honest I would like to see half incriments implemented. I take pride in the fact that most of the time I rate a tank I am generally within 0.5% - 1% of the avg rating. I try and be as accurate as possible coz I appreciate the effort that most people make and I believe it just they see that. I get the feeling some guys sit there and press on a rating till there tank comes up and then hit it with a 10 or 9 Like I said there are no PRIZES AND IT IS NOT A COMPETITION.
I would like to thank those who make this site as functional as it is though with a wealth of info knowledge assistance advise thst gives novices like myself a good chance at making this hobby as enjoyable and rewarding as it is OVER & OUT!!!

gunsnfknroses

by gunsnfknroses

I was wondering how you got a picture in the rating system anyway.
I just joined and uploaded a picture of my tank and it is not shown in the rating system.
I would be happy with a 3.00 score right now.

But I agree, fair is fair. Some people take a great bit of time and effort on there set-ups and some dont.
It's sad that some rate low on great looking tanks just for there own personal gain.

I call em' as I see em'.
If it looks like a great deal of time and effort was put into it, I give a 8+ score.
If there is a bubble wand,one plant and some gravel in it.....and thats it, the score will be much lower.
Reguardless where my tank resides in the ratings.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I just uploaded one and it worked, I think the pic has to be mod approved so it may take a couple days.

Well I doubt you'll have to worry about the rating of your tank as it looks great. I think some live plants would really set it off though and get a much higher rating.

gunsnfknroses

by gunsnfknroses

My picture say's it has been approved.
But I cant find it on the site. I have done search's on 300 gallon and freshwater, and it's just not there.
Or at least I cant see it.

But thanks for the compliment.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Rod: that's common for newly posted tanks. Before the tank receives 100 votes on the picture, it shows up on the front page for anyone just loading up RMFT.com about 200% more to vote on. Why that gives a tank top placement I'm not sure, but within a month or so the score (or at least the rank out of w/e) settles more into where it should be. Before I overhauled the plantings in my 16gal and got a new light I was in the top 10 planted for about 6 days. Within a month I had shot up to 580..much closer to where I belonged.

tomargir

by tomargir

I always try to leave some comments when i rate a tank, so as to help the owner evolve in the hobby. I think that every rating should be accompanied with a comment (kind of a justification).

10 posts