Florida aquarium?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

fihsboy

Florida aquarium?

by fihsboy

What do you think the possibility is of me being able to open one of the largest aquariums in the world in florida? Obviously it would take a well thought out plan, as well as many sponsors and help from the state of florida....I pretty much have what I would like to see planned out.....Costs.....probably 10 million? Nothing like what georgia aquarium has.....but something HUGE. That possibly the florida colleges could do research with.....as well as be a tourist attraction bringing in money. Maybe have a 4 million gallon reef tank with tropical fish,sharks,manta rays, eels, a seagrass bed with slower fish like pipe fish and sea horses. Im talking a facility that is maybe as big as.......a football field. say a tank thats 240feet by 20 by 15 tall. Thats something that ANY fish could feel at home in. You could even divide it into different areas of the world. make one side of the facility saltwater and the other freshwater. House different tropical fish and maybe have a bass tank. Basically have differnt biotopes. Just a dream? Or do you think it could be pulled off? Keep in mind......Florida has NO state tax because of tourism......

burgerking

by burgerking

I dont know. It seems like you'd need a lot of support cuz that'd be a ton of money. Maybe you could see if a local aquatic zoo(like marineland) was looking into adding a new tank.

Who knows though, maybe a UNI is looking into something like that but doesnt have someone to spearhead the project for them. Make some calls, it wont hurt.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Are you from around here? Not many people know about marineland.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I mean i know it says canada....but marineland USED to be big......now its just kinda for private interactions with the dolphins. Its about half an hour away from my house.

burgerking

by burgerking

No im from Barrie, Canada. Unfortunately its a few hours away so I havent been to marineland in ages, but its kinda like a theme park with fish tanks. Now i really want to go... Mini road trip??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha.....you dont want to go this one. In the 80's it was awesome. It was the first marine aquarium in the united states persay. its where they filmed creatures of the black lagoon. And most of the films with dolphins back in the day. They filed bankruptcy a few years back, and my friend and I wrote a letter to the state to try to keep it open for education reasons.The state bailed them out.....they now are owned and operated by a private owner.Still a cool place.......but they dont have shows or anything....its just a big nursery for sick dolphins. Great program though. Plus they have swimming with the dolphins. Its cool little place now. I did google marineland to get that website....and saw that canada has one. Not the same place.....But still pretty cool.

http://www.marineland.net/index.php

Thats ours in sunny florida where the weather today was 68 degrees and sunny. :)

burgerking

by burgerking

That place looks really peaceful. And in Canada Im freezing my nuts off right now, I want to go somewhere warm so bad!!!!

kelbri

by kelbri

I agree bk. I'm in Saskatchewan right now, and although it's only -6 C right now, I know the cold is coming.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

yeah its too cold here. i cant wait for vacation! :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

comon people...............without cold there would be no snowmobiles and i would have to be the rainboss.....................lol

Florida aquarium?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2