Breaking it down

5 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

a1k8t31524

Breaking it down

by a1k8t31524

so i am going to be moving the tank here in a few weeks, and i think that i will be breaking it down completly and slowly rebuilding it over the next two months or so.
reason number one is i want to change over to a sand / peat based substrate
and instead of turning this move into an all day project, because moving the house its self will take a few days i think i will just start back over so i can get the plants that i really want and put just a little more thought into the planting and placement, it will give me a chance to hook up my preasurised Co2 system and that way i can give my plants ample time to "grow in" before i add any fish, i think i will try to preserve most of my bio filter that way i will not have to go through the whole cycle process again.......
what do you all think?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I think that sounds like a solid idea. Two months is a while.....but it will be a good project that you will enjoy. Setting up my tank was the best part! Sometimes id like to tear it down or sell it just to start over again and try something different. Different filters or anything like that. How are you going to keep your bio filter so you dont have to cycle again?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well i was planing on setting up a 55 gallon drum in the laundry room for top offs and water changes so i can always have aged water on hand and i figure i could just set up my canister filter on that and put in any sponges and bio balls that i have in there, till i was ready to set it up back in the tank

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

might try a smaller container for that ..................i would think if you add bactieria to the 55 gallon drum you will ave to maintain it just like a tank, you could have algae issues, need to do water changes etc etc

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I dunno....my lfs has a kiddie pool in the back with nothing but a sand filter. and its NASTY sand. Its got a lot of different crud in it. Has refuge mudd...sand......crushedcorals.....live rock....dry rock thats getting seeded. Basically if your starting up a tank you grab from his goody tank. He just keeps a powerhead in it and a heater.....does a waterchange monthly...its kinda open to the back door......so it gets a little light every day.......but nothing searious. theres no algae in there or anything. tons of pods tons of feather dusters and stuff. But the only maintence is a monthly water change.

Breaking it down

5 posts