sps corals? upgraded tank?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jav36

by jav36

hey guys,
im finally deciding to upgrade my 30 gallon to either a 90 or 125 gallon within a year or so. i was thinking of trying out some acropora and montipora when i get the tank. if i got the correct lighting and strong water flow would it be fairly easy to keep? anyone with experience with sps feel free to comment

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

as long as u keep your calcium and alkilinity in check along with stronglighting,good skimming.and a well established tank you should do fine. by the way your tank looks great. how big is that toadstool?

jav36

by jav36

the toadstool is about 6 inches tall and your tank is looking great too!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

have you ever pondered with propagation?

jav36

by jav36

no but i would be willing to try it. how do you do it?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

toad stools are the easist coral to propagate.. got a razor? clean it off good.cut a small portion off of the back of it. i have cut pecies from 4inches to the size of a toothpick and they will grow. also you could pull it out of the water and invert it upside down cut a 1 inch ring around the crown take that ring and cut it into 1 inch chunks. to make them atatch you can use food safe toothpicks,rubbber bands , or go the natural way by throwing the chunks into a small bowl filled with crushed coral in a low current area . they will atatch fast.you should also put some saltwater from your tank on a plate when doing this. put the crown in the water.when you are done disscard the water.when you put the toadstool back in the water . turkeybast the edges of the crown to make sure nothing settels. it will heal very fast. never propagate more then 3 times a year... and never more then one coral at a time.give each coral time to heal befor propagating another. hope this helps if you have any more ? post them. do you have mushrooms?

jav36

by jav36

ok thanks pimp im definetly gonna expiriment with that and im gonna give my colt coral a try too.
and i dont have any mushrooms at the moment but when my lfs gets some nice blue ones in stock then ill grab them

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

colts are a pain. it will take weeks to atatch and they will slime up preaty good.can be toxic to other coralsthe best way to atach a colt is a zip tie u have got to slice a small hole in the base.and zip tie to a rock,but not to tight because during expansion there tissue will rip and float around your tank. also any slime will have to be turkey basted a few times a day or bacteria will kill them.mushrooms are diffrent too.when you get shrooms let me know

jav36

by jav36

ohh thanks for the save, ill just stick with the toadstool.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

no problem bud, any time.
swp

12 posts • Page 1 of 2