Fishless Cycle using Ammonia. Help!

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I filled my 72 gallon tank up last night. I also have a small 3 gallon tank that took some established gravel from and put in the new tank. Also took the filter media and squeezed it into the new tank. I read that on the first day you add 4-5 drops of ammonia per 10 gallons more or less depending on grade of ammonia then you test the water and should get a reading of around 5ppm. Well that did not happen. After putting in around 150 drops I am still getting a reading in the .05 range. I checked it again this morning and it is still the same. Should I try to get another grade of ammonia? I got the cheap kind at the "Dollar Store" It did not say pure ammonia but it did say "ammonium hrdroxide & sufectrate or something like that. Can someone please help?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you could have a bad test kit

beachywoman

by beachywoman

Thanks,
I found out that if it has sufractants in the ammonia then it is no good. I purchased a different kind yesterday from a hardware store. I called the company and they said it is only ammonia and water but it is diluted at least 30% so I had to use alot of it. The ppm did spike a little higher.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I hope you changed out all the water before trying the new ammonia approach. I don't believe surfactants break down over time and may give you long lasting problems. Surfactants play a large role in things like household detergents. Someone should have warned you about harmful types of marketed ammonia for ''household cleaning'' vs the kind you're using now. =\

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

well said tmerc....the surfacants are soapy and need to be removed from the tank completely...then start again with the pure ammonia or better still be patient and let the tank cycle more naturally.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

Thank you. I didn't know that I would need to actually remove the water and start again. I will do that. I sincerely appreciate all the help.

6 posts