power heads

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

power heads

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Is there an ideal gph you should be circulating in a 65 gallon? I was thinking of maxi jet 1200 which max flow is 295 gph and something else similar. I would want both units to be able to attach to a wavemaker if i decide to get one down the line. Any inexpensive but efficient suggestions? Aside from cleaning them off, is there any other maintenance involved with them?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I'd recommend 2 MJ 900 or 1200 on each side ( or the back of the tank) with Hydor Flo 360 degree water deflector attachments. They are great. Relatively inexpensive,and works just as good as the wave makers. Hydor Koralia powerheads are also great solutions for water movement. They're work like the Pro Seio series. Wide water outakes instead of the MJs small and straight forwarded outflows. Good stuff.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

All powerheads are pretty much maintence free, except you have to take the intake pr. out and clean it every once in awhile ( or twice or 3 times:-)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

in my 65 i had a 950 magdrive pump from my sump into display +
1..maxijet 1200
2..maxijet 600
1..maxijet 400
myprotien skimmer had a big pump on it. maxi jets will hook up to a power strip wave maker.
and i still could have added more powerheads.
you should clean all powerheads and water pumps monthly soak in white vineger for a few hours then scrub with a toothbrush till clean. to desolve calcium buildups .by doing this it will make your powerheads last forever..i never had a problem with maxijets.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Yeah but if you have a FO tank without any live rocks I wouldn't worry about the calcium build up too much...

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Actually you can use as much powerheads as you want to, but too many of them can warm up your water specially in the summertime ( you still can use a chiller or fans though.. Money, money, money..)

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

I have ordered live rock dick headers. I will order the MJ 1200 for one and for the other should I get a lower gph for variety of movement or just go with another 1200.

angus4481

by angus4481

if you really want to move some water, get the maxijet 1600 upgrade. it fits ne maxijet powerhead. if you use a maxi1200, it pumps 1600 gph. just my two cents

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Where did you ordered your LR from? Don't get me wrong..MaxiJets are great and long lasting powerheads, but I always keep my eyes open if someone came up with some good stuff. The Hydor Koralia IS A GOOD STUFF. Not because it is magnetic and you can attach the head wherever you want to..no. The outtake is wider then the MJ outtakes, so the waterflow not as strong and straight forwarded then the Mjs. Even if you decide to put corals in you tank, you don't have to worry about the waterflow will harm your livestock. It doesn't mean that you can put your coral or anemone right front of the Powerhead, but you can put it closer then you could with the MJ. They are also smaller then MJs, so you can save some space in your tank. Again, MJs are great powerheads, that's just my own view.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I saw a mod for power heads on youtube the oher day - -sorry i don't have a link but just search powerheads on there and im sure it will show up try DIY powerhead, anyway - he cut the "nozzle" off about 1/4 inch into the body and then drilled about 5 holes in the bottom of the body - -this enables the prop to suck in more water and expell it faster and more importantly in a wider patern through the shorter nozzle - i'm going to try it but not until i have a backup power head incase i destroy this one, lol -- Note to self -modify the cheapest head first,lol - Snowboss

power heads

12 posts • Page 1 of 2