Question on tangs

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

bg7003

Question on tangs

by bg7003

Hey, i've been thinking about tangs in my tank. I know you can have more than one at a time if introduced properly. But just out of curiosity, would a sailfin tang and a scopas tang have quite the same problem with aggression because of their shapes? I mean the sailfin has a bit of a different edge to it, especially because of its sail when opened. Thanks

newbie916

by newbie916

I have a blue hippo, yellow, and sailfin in my 95 gallon. They actually came with my original 100 gallon reef setup. All three species get pretty large and as they get bigger they get really territorial. The Sailfins get up to 14", which is quite large for our tank sizes. The tangs are also very dirty fish and produce alot of waste. They also eat alot, which of course creates more organic matter and increased nitrate issues.

Don't get me wrong. I love my tangs and how they swim around and across the tank. However, I have to do a minimum of 20 gallon water changes every other week to keep my water quality in check. I have a protein skimmer, cleaning crew, 30 gallon refugium with variuos macro algae, use RO water and I still have to do those damn water changes. Anyways, I thought you should know and prepare before you decide how many tangs you want. I hope this was helpful and good luck, they're great fish but watch your bioload

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

tangs shit heaps hey. but they are sweet fish. if you water change reg they are fine.
i have three different types of tangs and they are all great mates. blue tang yellow tang and lipstick

newbie916

by newbie916

They definitely shit heaps, but are awesome fish. Just do water changes and we're all good.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

yeah you should be good. I have a blue tang, orange shoulder, blonde naso. I added the blue tang as my first fish and he is the most aggressive in the tank, even to other fish, including a marbled catshark, puffer, and niger trigger. So just make sure you watch your fish to make sure that they are not picking on each other. A little stress is good for no one in the tank.

Question on tangs

5 posts