Parasites

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Tmercier834747

Parasites

by Tmercier834747

Anyone with experience treating internal parasites?

I've searched the web a good bit for a way to treat my puffer, but most indicate that the solutions used would be harmful to inverts, and I have a few I'd like to keep around. I guess the easiest solution would be quarantining him but I really don't have the spare space. :( Any ideas?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

garlic..... garlic works wonders
it is a natural fungicide and a natural anti-parasite..... i am sure there is a fancy word for that but i dont know it.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I know I saw somewhere they make it in some sort of liquid you can soak the fish food in (in this case - bloodworms), is that the only way to administer it or are there other types?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i would say that would be the best way but i dont know for sure i have never used it myself but i figure you could just soak a snail in a garlic paste then give it to him... hey this is my 800th post

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'll have to drop by petsmart tomorrow though I doubt they have it, haven't seen it there before.

Strangely enough he stopped eating snails after his gill infection that almost killed him about 6 months ago, and he's got two younger more aggressive and energetic buddies to compete with, so I'll have to put a rush on this. I think he must've developed the parasite when I had him in with ghost shrimp. I've gotten ghosties from petsmart before and seen parasites inside them after several weeks...nasty things.

Grats on that 800th. lol

tomargir

by tomargir

The question is very general. Are you talking about metazoa, protozoa, sporozoa? Which one of them? There are dozens of metazoa (many-celled parasitic organisms) that can affect fish.
I could write a list with the most common treatments used for each case, but that would take me a whole day typing.
So if you want, be more specific. Or write about the symptoms that your fish show.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

The information I was able to dig up was a bit vague, but my searching criteria were also probably a bit vague...

Anyway, as it was described by others with the same 'problem' they noticed a decreased appetite from the fish, possibly even including the will but inability to take in as much food as it used to.

Dwarf puffers after having their fill (which normally would seem to be until all the available desired food is gone; bloodworms, snails) get visibly much larger bellies even from food so small as bloodworms. Their bellies will remain visibly larger even if not fed for a few days at a time.

The afflicted puffer I had (I'm sorry to say he became so weak that when I purchased a new filter he got stuck to the intake for an hour and expired ---some time ago) would show very little belly enlargement and the ''bulge'' would be gone in a matter of hours leaving a sunken in appearance. This and his not-so-hungry behavior is what led me to believe internal parasite(s) were to blame.

tomargir

by tomargir

Sunken bellies are a clinical picture of a disease named abdominal dropsy. However the term dropsy denotes only the clinical picture of the fish (which is what you described) but the underlying cause may vary. For example abdominal dropsy in carp specimens it usually caused by a viral infection followed by a secondary bacterial infection.
Usually, since it is difficult to find the underlying cause without advanced methods (blood examinations etc) dropsy is treated with a combination of drugs such as doxycicline and kanamycine.

Loss of appetite could indicate intestinal infections by worms. For a definite diagnosis the fish intestines should be examined under a microscope. Otherwise the clinical picture of 2 fish infected by 2 different species of worms may look similar. A fecal examination could narrow down the possible causes.
LFS or companies specializing in fish medication usually sell treatments for intestinal parasites that can usually kill a wide range of worm species. This medication is usually to be delivered through the food.

tomargir

by tomargir

I forgot to mention that if this wasn't helpful, you should refer to wetwetmedia crew at www.wetwebmedia.com
You can send them an email with the symptoms that your fish display, the water parameters and any other info that you think is relevant. They will respond immediately

Parasites

9 posts