new marine fishtank

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lil_Dose

new marine fishtank

by lil_Dose

Hi, i've had freshwater/planted tanks for quit a while now and i have caught the marine bug. i've researched the equipment and stuff i'll need to maintain the tank..but im wondering...for a reef aquarium..how much will it approximatly cost...because i don't want to launch into this without being financially prepared as you can imagine.
im looking at a 55-60 gallon tank with live rock and all completely new equipment (including the tank..)
thanks
mel

ci11337

Re: new marine fishtank

by ci11337

It will cost alot. Theres really no way around it. It's hard to say an accurate # 'cuz prices vary. LR, lighting fixture, the tank, and stand are all expensive. But the things that really get you are corals, fish, light bulbs, and salt. Many corals are like $40 a piece and you can easily fit like 20 in a tank so you just keep buying til it's full, same thing to a lesser extent w/fish. PC bulbs for my 55s hood cost $30 each,(i need 4)
and they need to be replaced every 10 months or so. Reef crystals salt is $20 a bag and i use a bag a month. Of course this seems like even more to me since (being 14) i have no steady income yet. But probably the worst expense is when u start up the 2nd tank.....:)

lil_Dose

Re: new marine fishtank

by lil_Dose

thankyou so much for your replies. lol im going to be doing extra shifts to pay for it i can see :) but thats ok. thanx again

leeandrew

by leeandrew

I got a 200 liter tank with good filter, new T5 luminaire trebble lighting, good heater and stand for £200. I use a v2 skim 400 which cost £50. Salt and RO will cost you alot, some people produce their own RO but some people dont use it. Live rock will cost alot but its worth it as it is a bio filter, and can restrict you as to what fish, inverts you can have- as some love hiding and exploring. I'd say to date i have spent over £550, this includes full setup, fish, inverts, live rock, coral, food etc. Once you have marine fish it becomes all you talk about! Until your partner tells you to shut up... it wont be long before i get a bigger tank. I'm looking to get a puffer fish, snowflake eel and angelfish but my tank is about full... but like how i discovered my tank on ebay, people are always upgrading and selling their smaller tanks (200 liters? small?!) to help pay for it. You can find some good bargains on ebay.

Skittles

by Skittles

It'll cost even more cash depending on what kind of coral you want to keep too. I'm running an SPS dominated take. So lighting needs to be intense. You probably won't start with these stone corals just yet, but when you do, you'll be spending some cash on metal halides. PC lighting can get you only so far.

Jranallo

by Jranallo

I have a 90 gallon and have spent about 2700 without any fish. I got the best of everything though. Everyone says don't cut corners when you set it up or else youll pay more later

new marine fishtank

6 posts