overflow?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

bigwillcast

overflow?

by bigwillcast

I just picked up this sump system.

I have an SOS overflow from marineland. That I cannot get to suck the water through. Any ideas? I've already sucked water through the lil siphon tube. Then, theres water all the way at the top, but once water flows into the overflow, it doesn't siphon it over to the other side.

The parts consist of:

Sealife systems - aquapro 75 Sump ($125)

Tidepool SOS marineland overflow - rated at 600 gph ($55 - was priced at $109, talked him down)

Catalina CA-4000 Pump ($70) - this is rated at like 1100 gph at 0 head.

the return from the pump to the tank is 3/4" pvc. The overflow to sump is 1-1/4" return tubing attached to 1" PVC at the base of sump.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS FOR FRESHWATER. I AM ONLY IN SALTWATER TO GET HELP WITH THE OVERFLOW. (plus it's pretty sweet, so I wanna show my new toy off)

all pictures are off my cell.. sorry for the bad quality.

SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE.
db902-Fish tank - sump 1.jpeg
fd037-Fish tank - Sump 2.jpeg
0bffe-Fish Tank - Sump 3.jpeg
59f89-Fish tank - Sump 4.jpeg
83987-Fish Tank - Sump 5.jpeg

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

is the outlet side deeper or longer than the inlet side.
if no that's the problem. If yes Then get a power head and shoot it in the inlet for a while to get things moving.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

got it all working. Only complaint. Wow, loud.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

Do they make some kind of check valve for PVC so water doesn't flow backwords in the case of a power outage?!
54343-Fish tank - sump 1.jpeg
d0394-Fish tank - Sump 2.jpeg
eeac5-Fish Tank - Sump 3.jpeg
06ad6-Fish tank - Sump 4.jpeg
10a45-Fish Tank - Sump 5.jpeg

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

PS: I am uploading pictures and they are NOT showing up? IDEAS?!?!?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

no ideas....mine always show up. :( Yeah run to HD they have check valves. :)

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

OK - sump has been up and running for a while, works well, two complaints.

1- every once in a while the overflow loses suction out of no where and then the pump just goes WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR until I can unplug it and fix the damn suction, which causes me to put my mouth on that nasty air hose and suck nasty water through it. remedies?!?!

2- Every couple days, I have to add more water to the system? is the heat from the pump evaporating it? any way to stop this?!? the only reason I know is because the water dumping into the pump side runs low, the pump sounds funny and I look and the waters low. I had approx. 1/2 gallon and it's good to go for another couple days. Remedies?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

drill a small pilot hole on the water retun line just below the waterline, that will stop the back syphone of the tank.a check valve alone will cause a flood in time. How big is your return pump ? sounds like it's a bit to small. and the noise...use a gate valve or a ball valve on the drain line restrict the flow just enough to stop the noise,and in the sump the drain should be know more then 2 inches below the waterline. also dont let snails get in the overflow box..

Water top off is normal my system uses over a gallon a day..
If you are still having troubles look here...lots of info http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

ahhhhhhhhh I remember the days when people actually enjoyed discussion on this forum, what happened!?!?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

The pictures have not been working here for a while now...IDK why

overflow?

10 posts