DONE!

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

DONE!

by fihsboy

Im so close to getting out of this hobby its not funny. Ive dropped a grand in the last two months only to be woke up by the niagra falls just now. its 2 am. a turbo snail decides to crawl over the overflow and into the pipe, blocking it and causing a HUGE mess along with a shorted out battery back up that cost me 200 bucks. Damage assesment...about 250+ I havent tested my VHO's yet....so it could be more. Guys what should I do? I love my tank and I love messing with it, but I hate spending more money on it than I have. tank has a nasty case of cyano bacteria along with everything. opinions on what I should do? right now its just stressing me out and pissing me off.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

you need to spend some time going through an emergency procedure. What i mean is make your tank work. turn it off and see if it overflows, simulate accidents like blocking off the overflow and see what happens. go through every thing you think could happen.
fix them up

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I feel your pain Fishboy, been there done that, i've had over flows, woke up to a tank full of dead fish, brand new equipment failures to a complete tank crash.......bout the only thing i havent done yet is actually break a tank..................sometimes you need to just stand stil..........i know sounds silly, but it works............the first thing we want to do is go crazy buying something to fix the problem we just had, step back asses the problem and striaghten it out, from there just whatch it and relax for a while.

i've followed your posts, i really think you'd hate youself if you got out of the hobby

silly things happen and they suck, but they are just silly things, figure out how to keep them snails out of the overflow and enjoy your victory

good luck bud

Boss

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

i think it is called egg crat but im not shour. it come in a sheet about a 1/2 thick made out of hard plastic with 1/2 inched squars in it cout a piece out and put it over the over flow. the snails cant git throught the squars. you should be abel to git it at you lfs and it is cheep.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

or look at home depot or lowes in the drop cieling area, they use it to cover floresent fixtures {like in schools and such} they call it a "diffuser} prolly much cheaper than an LFS

rockyfish

by rockyfish

Hey Fishboy def dont give up the hobby really it not bad if think about what happen and or what really could have happen hey i run a canister just for that matter not really but hey i feel your pain trust me were all in as one here..........Dont Give Up.....

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Thanks guys. Its just discouraging the owner at my lfs gave me some egg crate today and I blocked off my overflow so nothing can get in it. Boss, I thought for sure that I had done everything to as far as disaster management. Everything has a back up. I went and bought the battery back up that will run my main pump for a few days in case of a power outtage.....then I wouldnt have to worry about the siphon being lost or fish dying when the power goes out. I thought I had it bullet proof....but evidently not. I worked on it today for 8 hours. Two water changes and I moved all my rock around to give it a new look. Im going to load my refuge up with some searious amounts of algae and feather dusters and maybe some xenia to go with my mangroves. It just seems like everything hits at one time in life. I dropped 100 bucks today on the tank plus 500 on school books. College sucks...but I gotta go. I was just stressed last night at 2 in the morning when I had to use every towl in my bathroom to clean up the water. Thanks for the support guys.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

what kind of battery backups do you have on that thing?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have a 1500 va ups from best buy. I bought the extended plan on it...thank god. So hopefully best buy will replace it. Its the best one they make for computers....and its made to run a 1200 watt computer for 20 minutes.....so its running a rio 1700 at 17 watts a LOT longer....I tested it and it ran for a few hours without even hesitating.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2654248983

I called best buy up and asked them how long this would run something that was running on 17 watts.....and i shit you not the girl was like....Sir........are you that bored.......I was kinda mad. and the beauty of it is....it uses 12v batteries as a hot swap....so just carry some extras and your good for weeks....

DONE!

17 posts • Page 1 of 2