Question on live rock.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

mwallin85

Question on live rock.

by mwallin85

I switched my 55 gal to salt water over a month ago and things have been going good for the most part. My question is on two pieces of my live rock there is some kind of white material on it. I didn’t think much of it when I got the pieces and the store I got it from didn’t say anything about it either but now there is a lot black spots on the white stuff. So i did some searching and I am assuming that black stuff is material rotting on the rock. Am I correct on this? I read that the white material should be cleaned off as well as the black stuff. I tried to do this but I could not get the white material off, the black stuff was soft and would come off with a lot of work. So my main question is what exactly is this white and black material? I didn’t find much information on it. And also what should I do about it?

Thanks for you help

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

have any pictures?

mwallin85

by mwallin85

heres one of the rocks
169b2-IMG_130666.jpg

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

sounds like a calcium build up on the lr

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

did you cure the rock before putting it in the tank? - - - i have no idea what the white is, the black is an algae of some sort ................i would put the rock in a container with a high consentrate salt solution with bubblers and power heads for a couple weeks and re cure it.....you will in essence be killing the rock but it will re establish again - -while your cycleing it, do 50 % water changes every other day and during the last few days to week make the salinity match your tank, you can scrub the crap out of rock in a bucket of water change water too if you wanna try that first

- - -im not seeing ny pics on this site, i don't know if its me or the site so i cn't rellt comment on it exactly

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i dont see pics, my guess without seeing pics is dead coraline , when it dies it turns white and in some spots will turn black, this stuff is it hard like rock ?

mwallin85

by mwallin85

I cant seem to get the pictures to show up on the forums but I uploaded two pictures in profile. You should be able to look at them if you click on my profile. So if you could take a look that would be great. Thanks guys for any help.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

HA! I have the same SHI@ on my rock in places. I think its a certain kind of coralline..... mine will grow and shrink depending on lighting conditions....Im thinking that might be the case....dunno. Hasnt hurt anything in my tank...I will post pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

pcahill

by pcahill

It looks like dead coraline to me. Does it seem to be growing or spreading? If not then def. dead coraline. No worries. Cheers.

mwallin85

by mwallin85

It doesnt seem to be growing much at all if any. Do you know what the black spots are?

Question on live rock.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2