Oscar always hungry??

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

nighthawk2207

Oscar always hungry??

by nighthawk2207

My oscars always act like there hungry, don't know if they really are tho, how much should you feed an oscar daily.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

osacrs are extream over eaters, a lot of fish are really, but oscars are bad at it, they would probally eat themselves to deth if you allowerd them to.
I would feed twice daily, and keep this in mind fishes stomach's are only about the size of their eye, rerley do people underfeed their fish, they almost always overfeed. and it is also a good idea to not feed them for a day or to once a week or once every other week it is good for their digestive tract

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

cool thanks i have been feeding them 3 times a day i will cut back it should keep my tank alittle cleaner too

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I used to feed my south americans gold fish only, my oscar would take the out my gars mouth and he would also cram so many in his mouth he wouldn't be able to move for a good 20 minutes. I only feed once, sometimes twice a day. You can see pics of them on my profile they are nice healthy fish and I got them when they were just babies. The oscar about 2 inches the gar about 6. and like a1k8t3 said an oscar will eat as much as you put in his tank.

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

Is it healthy when after my oscars eat they kinda just sit at the bottom of the tank it doesn't look good but is it really bad i mean are the just lazy??

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I don't know that I would say it's healthy, but that is part of their over eating. When they over stuff them self they have to digest a little before the can be their normal selfs. Mine used to do the same thing after stuffing 5-6 gold fish in his mouth at once. So I started only putting a few feeders in at a time until they had their daily allowance, so not to over feed. This seemed to help with the sitting on the bottom.

Oscar always hungry??

6 posts