Nitrate spike after the transfer

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

I transferred all of my LR, LS, corals, and fish into my new tank on Sunday. I tested my water last night and everything read great except for my nitrates, which are at 40 ppm. However, everything in my tank looks great.

SG: 1.025
Phos:0
Ammon:0
Nitritrite:0
PH:8.3
Calcium: 460
Nitrates: 40
Alk: Haven't tested yet
Magnesium:1600

I can't figure out what's causing my consistent nitrate problem. I have 150lbs of LR and 150 of LS. Refugium with Chaeto, Ulva, red grac, and lace macro. My sand is completely clean along with my rocks. I scrubbed the green hair algae off during the transfer. Protein skimmer is working fine and I also replaced my filter sock. What the fuck!!! Any suggestions

Thanks

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

it was the transfer of sand. the stirring of sand beds and basically messing with it too much will bring up nitrates...oh and the little bit of die off from the rock being out of the water during set up

dick_headers

by dick_headers

newbie,

Do you have constant nitrate problems? If not, it must be the transfer just like Delta mentioned it. It is almost impossible to transfer an established sand bad without nitrate spike. Even if your nitrate levels otherwise 0. Detritus and bacterias free up during the progress. It'll should have go away in a day or 2 if your refugium works properly.
How big is your fuge and what's in it beside the macros?

newbie916

by newbie916

The fuge is 30 gallons with a three inch sand bed and about 15 lbs of live rock in my fuge. There is the filter sock and protein skimmer, which is a Euro Reef. I've had issues with nitrates for a while and haven't been able to get them below 20 ppm steadily. What else do you think I could do.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

the substrate transfer did it. all the movement has stired everything up and caused a spike.it will settle once it settles

newbie916

by newbie916

Sounds good, I'm mixing 25 gallons right now and I'll do a water change later. Hopefully things will settle down

6 posts