I need help. I am new at this.

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

tarpon

by tarpon

I have a 29g biocube with the stock filter etc... It cycled quickly with live rock and I am about to add a yellow headed jawfish(I have 3 inches of sand), a brittle star, and a cleaner shrimp. I am planning on adding a oc. clownfish, maybe a flame angel, and a blenny or something after the first fish have been in for a month or so. When would it be ok to add my first coral? What about the lighting in the oceanic biocubes? what kind of protein skimmer should I get? Do I wait on the skimmer until I decide to get the coral? Sorry so many questions but I am new at this.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Welcome tarpon !!!!! lol I'm not going to answer any of your questions because I am new to this hobby as well...BUT.....I will give you the secret password to your questions...............just post your questions with the word "CORAL" in it and a gentleman named Saltwater pimp will reply...his knowledge is incredable on these little creatures and he has saved my tank a couple times now and I would stand in the middle of the road waveing a chicken over my head if he told me it would make my tank better {lol not really, but I trust his advice compleatly} - -good luck Oceanic makes some nice tanks ...looking forward to some pics, Snowboss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

tarpon welcome. did you say coral...lol. i would slow down a bit. let you tank establish for a little while.your star fish will die with out establishing the sand bed. how many watts are your lights?what spectrum?what kind of corals do you want? you should get a skimmer before anything else.... dont worry about the questions thats what we are here for..

tarpon

by tarpon

thanks alot for your advice. I have had my tank up and running with live rock and sand for about a month now. It has cycled and they are telling me that I can go ahead and add a fish or two. Should I wait on the star fish? I am not sure what you mean by establishing the sand bed. I have read a couple of books, but I am learning that they don't tell you everything. As far as my lighting etc... "The Oceanic BioCube features high-quality components and can be used for saltwater or freshwater setups. All sizes include integrated wet/dry filtration with dual overflow intakes, two Coralife compact fluorescent lamps, lunar blue LED lights, remote quick-disconnect ballasts, a UL listed submersible pump with adjustable discharge nozzle and dual fans to dissipate heat." Another words, I got what came with it. Thanks for the help. I am excited and I am trying to be patient.

tangerine

by tangerine

leave the flame angel out till yr tank fully matures and have some microfaunas in the liverocks. safe period wud be 6 mths and more. if u are wondering why this is so,from own and fellow reefers experience,FA normally are quite difficult to get it feeding from the word go.
so,it suatained itself by grazing at those microfaunas in the tank during the acclimatizing period. mine took close to 2 weeks before it started feeding on mysis shrimps and pellets.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

If you haven't bought a protein skimmer yet, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Biocube-Protein ... 0202614864

Good deal, but you might can find a better one. Hope it helps.

6 posts