need more input

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

need more input

by blueshoes2208

k so i got fihyboys opinion but i need the rest of yalls, when i went on my hunting trip i had NO brown floaties or brown "drops" at the top of the water and i came back and its full of it. I put my container in that i do water changes with and it came out looking like it had been setting in freshwater full of algae for a week. Jus did water test, ph 8.3, nitrates 15 ( have been that way since i started the tank), nitrites 0, ammonia 0. Temp 71, salinity 1.025. The only thing that i can think of is my light got left on the entire time i was gone ( 5 days) and i jus got an algae bloom or something. The only thing that gets me is that it looks like little drops of brown vegetable oil on the top, it looks nothing like algae. I do not have a skimmer tho is that related? My light isnt 10000k or 20000k or whatever its i think 5500 or something idk, it puts off a purpleish pink light. Help?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

um..it sounds like you have a "grow" bulb in there to me bud

and grow lights ................well...........they grow things, lol

try whiter bulb

Boss

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

+1 on boss plus 71 is a bit cold just for future reference. surface skimmer that overflows into a micron bag change 2 times a week and a refugium with reverse lighting on a one hour over lap will get rid of nitrates and stop nightly ph swings

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

well i think it may be not enough surface agitation. seems to me like your surface is to still. try adding a air line or a spray bar to the surface to mess it all about and see if problems still there.

need more input

4 posts