Getting into saltwater tanks..

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kraz3one

by kraz3one

I recently had a freshwater planted tank and now that I move away from that tank i left it with my brother. I was going to start another one but I've decided to go saltwater instead. I'm not quite sure if I want to go reef, hard coral, soft, or any details for that matter. I'm just trying to start a semi-nano tank in my dinning room. Just wanting ideas or advices will help greatly. Its a 30 gallon tank so I'm no expert in saltwater tanks but parameters probably be a little difficult to maintain in a tank of it size. Still beats a 20 or 10 gallon.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well at least you understand that smaller is harder. That tank depending on what kind of corals you want to get, can cost im guessing from 800- 1000 $ to fully set up, i misjudged mine by a long shot, 800 - 1000 is what i guessed mine would b at, right now im at like 850 and i dont even have my light or my protien skimmer, no fish or corals haha. If you want to get into lps, sps youre going to need better skimming and higher amounts of light, of course, and if you ahve looked at lighting lately its the same as a car payment. This hobby is time consuming and extremely expensive but welcome to it.

kraz3one

by kraz3one

Same for the planted tank but lighting wasn't so expensive haha. I think I'm going to try to get a 150-250w light which ever I can afford January. I'm thinking about a 20gallon in the bottom for a refug because i hate the clutter look of it hanging on the back or riding the tank. I have a little light about 48w to put with that 20gallon. I still dont completely understand refug any DIY on it? or good sites to refer me to. Thanks hopefully this wont be a waste of time.

kraz3one

by kraz3one

Looking to spend about 250 on a metal halide any suggest on a good one?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

hum...... actually dude im in your shloes still trying to find me a light, im going with a metal halide , pc combo or something to that extent

fihsboy

by fihsboy

www.hellolights.com
its pretty cheap

As far as a refuge.....Get a 20...more surface area the better....so a 20 long is optimal...three baffles, one input is where you put your skimmer and your filter sock....next baffle is the refuge consisting of macro algae live sand critters mangroves and live rock, third baffle will hold your return pump to go back to the main display. refuges dont like a lot of current....so be sure to run it so it doesnt get a lot. go to wally world and buy a few T5 fixtures at 6 bucks a piece and run it over your refuge....Im getting insane coralline growth in my refuge from the T5's and the whole lighting set up cost me 20 bucks. It runs 24/7 to keep the PH swings to a minimum or almost non existant. theres more but soak that in and ask questions first.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

By the way.....wally world = Walmart.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha damn i didnt even know aobut that website BUT
i still have this question:

I left for a week on hte trip, i guess my lights got left on and didnt get turned off but im checking my levels right now so idk what they are but i have brown stuff, bubbles at the top and floating int the water as i just found out and i have NO idea what it is...... it looks like brown vegetable oil on the top of the water but in the water it just looks like broken up algae. HELP??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

is it on the rocks? and is it putting of bubbles from your rock? If so....its a form of red slime. sucks but it goes away with regular water changes and carbon. I have it currently....It releases bubbles into the water...right? off the rock? You dont have an overflow? or a skimmer with a overflow?? you should get something that skims the top....thats where all the bad stuff is.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah thers alot at the top and theres bubbles but im not seeing anything on the rocks, no overflow and no skimmer yet

11 posts • Page 1 of 2