Sailfin gone just in time

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

I have been babysitting a Sailfin Tang for many months more than originally planned but he is now gone and just in time for my last fish, for my tank, which will be introduced tomorrow.

I was keeping a Sailfin tang for a friend while he upgraded his tank and the tank was finally ready today.

The Tang is gone and my tank is back to looking proportional. No more gigantic fish swimming back and forth. Don't get me wrong, I love Tangs but, in a 75g, any Tang is gigantic.

Even though my system, with a Xenia scrubber, was able to handle the waste from a Sailfin Tang and still register zero nitrates, I am very happy to see it go. I no longer will have to feed the tank so heavily. That damn Tang would consume 5x's the food the other smaller fish would capture.

In a surprisingly well timed way, my LFS notified me today he has my last fish ready to go. I have been waiting more than 6 months for this Potter's Leopard Wrasse and it is finally here. Black, Bipartitus, Meleagris and even Ornatus are fairly easy to come by but the Potter's Leopard seems to be much more difficult to get.

newbie916

by newbie916

I think that's why my nitrates have been so hard to keep down. Those tangs eat non-stop and crap like there's no tomorrow. I'm probably going to trade my sailfin and yellow tang when I get back home.

Congrats on the new Potter's leopard wrasse!! Post some pics when you get him settled in.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

very cool man. I just order my last fish today too. It is suppose to come in after Christmas though. It is a sohal tang.

schigara

by schigara

Well, I put him in the tank yesterday after lights out and he buried and I have yet to see him again. Hopefully he will make a showing tomorrow.

schigara

by schigara

Speak of the devil................. I just looked at the tank and the Potter's was laying on his side breathing rapidly.

Nothing I can do at this point. He is occasionally shooting into the water column and swimming but he is definitely in distress. Unfortunately, I don't have the quarantine tank running or I would put him into hyposalinity to ease the osmotic regulation. All I can do now is wait and hope he has enough fight in him.

I can't think of what could have messed him up. The lfs water was 1.025 and mine is 1.026. I floated him for temp and dripped for 1.5 hours to acclimate to PH, alk and SG. My nitrates are 0-undetectable. He was not harassed by anyone before he buried in the sand.

Any ideas guys?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

how long was he at the LFS? it may not be you or the LFS at all....if he was in a bad tank before then and then all the shipping stress, into a tank at the lfs and then right into your tank, the poor lil fella is prolly totally freaked and inside out.................if you have all your ducks in a row you really can't do much but hope he comes out of a bad week of travel ok ........................good luck man

Boss

schigara

by schigara

He was dead this morning and I know what happened to him. The first time he buried I saw a sand storm right next to the large Maxima clam but I didn't see exactly where he went in.

Last night when I saw the fish out, I could see right where he had been as there was crater in the sand next to the clam shell.

This morning, he was back under the clam and the cleaner shrimp was eating him. When I tried pulling him out from under the clam, he was stuck pretty good and his back was broken. The Maxima is almost 8 inches long and must have pinched /squished the Wrasse with the opening and closing of it's shell.

There's 50 bucks down the toilet.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Schigara, my man.

I feel your pain bud. I'd say screw the money. It wasn't your fault. Heads up, the next leopard wrasse will be even more beautiful. i respect that you took good care of someone elses fish, that's pretty neat.
Again, not to worry, you know it'll be ok.
Dick

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sad sad .............my condolences bud .... but i agree with DH ............the next one will be even better

Boss

schigara

by schigara

Thanks DH and Boss,

Actually my other LFS got one in last week and has been eating well. I will pick him up tomorrow.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2