MALE? Holding? Seriously confused!!!

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

OK, so my big beautiful Acei, who I have always considered the dominant male has a mouth full of EGGS!

What?!?

I stopped by to say Hey to my fish and he's/she's? looking out at me from a tunnel chewing and swishing something. So I looked closer to see what he/she? was munching on and I can SEE a mouth full of tan/yellow eggs! I double checked to make sure that was the Acei named Bumble, and sure enough it is!

This is the biggest Acei in the tank. The one who always vibrates at the small female (I know that one is female, she held twice, but ate the eggs within days both times), puffs up and is basically the orneriest one.

I have 4 total. One is small, who is the female who held. (Anyone know how to stop her from eating her eggs?) another is big, but very shy, I think of as a sub-male because I have seen him vibrate. The last one is a fat one I think is a female, with on big egg spot. That one keeps to herself.

There is a pic of Bumble below. If its a female WHY is it the one chasing the others, vibrating and showing stripes when ever another comes close???? I have never caught the Acei 's in action, and always assumed that one was the papa to the small ones eggs.

Anybody?? Is it a female in disguise?? LOL If so, hmm, the shy sub must be the papa.

The bottom pic show the fat female in front, the small female up top and Bumble the male/female? in back.
83031-PICT0052.JPG
4bdda-PICT0053.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I just got a close up pic. See the eggs? They are the yellowish things in his/her? mouth.
f0e75-PICT0017.JPG

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

Weird. If it is a male, really odd. Dont really know what to tell you...

For the small female, she will get better as time goes on. And acei are really sneaky when mating. I've caught my labs, rusties, and perlmutts in action, but never the acei.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Well, we still have a mouth full of eggs. This one is doing MUCH better at holding than my small female.

I am still so very confused tho! If you go by behaviour, I was 100% sure that it was a male!

Hey you African experts, what do you think?

Miami? Gumbi?

Still very confused here!

I will let it hold in the main tank till the weekend then put it in the 10 gallon holding/fry tank.

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

Well going by temprament isnt always correct. That's why I always vent my fish.

5 posts