Building a Custom Tank need help

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

chadweiser

by chadweiser

Im looking into building a tank for a shark and a ray. I was wondering what size tank do I need to build for a bonnet head. I work at a Glass comp. and glass isnt a problem. How thick the glass need to be.

gumbii

by gumbii

hmm... for a shark that gets 1m long i would go for a 700g+ tank... some people will say 500g but those hammerhead wannabe's need huge space to swim around...

i would make the glass at least 1.5" thick... also, i would use a eurobrace type for the top...

i would also say not to get the poor shark... i hate seeing sharks and other large marine fauna stuck in little glass cages... it sucks... i wouldn't want to live in a glass box... especially such an advanced animal like the bonnet head...

but oh well... do what you want for your money... waste it on whatever...

go to http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/ and check some people's DIY stuff out... they think of everything before starting a build... they also have guides...

good luck, think ahead, and use good judgement...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would get a small swimming pool.....put an acrylic face on it and you should be good.

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

Sharks and rays dont deserve to be held in fish tanks. Do you want to live in your car??? Not really.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

In all honesty......You cant really hold a ray unless you have a tank dedicated to it......and your talking SEARIOUS money. I would say nothing less than 500 gallons......they need PLENTY of room to swim. It would be the equivalent to locking you inside your house for the rest of your life.......that would SUCK!!! you could hold a small shark....but again 500+ and your looking at a HUGE tank....and im not talking tall....i mean long.....at least 8 feet long. Unless you want a shark that just lays there on the sand......

5 posts