Lighting

7 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Grumpy

Lighting

by Grumpy

Does anyone know of a better lighting system? I have two basic strip lights with the color enhancing purple glo light in them. Basic strip lights to me just look really cheap and trashy. I have the glass tops with a strip light over each of them. Maybe something with a moon light in it, on and off timers for the lights? I have looked at lights before and became overwhelmed so I stopped. I have seen some really nice systems for Marine applications but what about fresh water? Any help would be greatful.

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Good forum topic Grump...I hate the common flimsy light systems that are available so it'll be good to see if anyone has better ideas on lighting.

I would love to have lights submerged under my driftwood and with the light directed upwards for a cool night time effect; but I can't find anything like it. Have you or anyone ever come across any submergable lights?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yup...petco has them. You could always go to pep boys....grab some LED's and a 12v adapter......bam......night lights. Just get a coralife freshwater fixture....Marinedepot.com OR hellolights.com. Very nice lights for a decent price....if your planted your looking at a LOT better growth with your plants

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Thanks mate; they're both pretty groovy websites with exactly the kind of gear I'm after - only one problem: I'm in Australia!

So far I haven't been able to find anything too flash here, but I'll keep looking (at least I know they exist now; thanks).

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

browse ebay you will find alot there or somewhere like drs foster and smith or big al's

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Im jealous!!!!!!!!!!! Is it pretty there?

gumbii

by gumbii

ebay you get an awesome 20led system for 23 bucks shipped... my cousin just got those... and they look great...

just file down the bubble part of the led's face... flatten it out so it throws a wider beam of light...

also... put them on the canopy at an angle... from the front to the back... that way it will give you that metal halide shimmer affect when the lights are off... seriously... try it...

Lighting

7 posts