Heat Problems

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

NoviceTanker

Heat Problems

by NoviceTanker

Lately i haev had some heating problems with my tank. It was staying around 82 to 84 degrees for a while there. I had to remove the hood i had on the tank and now it had dropped back down to a more proper temp. But the wife hates it with out the nice wood top. I have looke into chillers and they are bulkey and have to sit out in the open to work properly. Only other option i am working on is to install 2 computer fans to the hood to get some air circulation. Would love to hear from any one else that might have had this problem i will get some pictures in soon.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If you have a really nice hood......you want to keep it looking nice.... SO install a Cabinet fan.... They are made for electronics so they are sleek and reliable. They also move the same amount as a small bathroom fan...So its PLENTY of power. Your looking at 50 bucks for two fans....with screens mounting hardware and everything.....but I tried to get around spending that much.....you cant. Even if you buy computer fans yourself....it cost that much. Heres a website....

http://www.buyextras.com/cafankitwosc.html

save yourself some time....buy these.....and your hood will cool your water insanely......and look good.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If you have a really nice hood......you want to keep it looking nice.... SO install a Cabinet fan.... They are made for electronics so they are sleek and reliable. They also move the same amount as a small bathroom fan...So its PLENTY of power. Your looking at 50 bucks for two fans....with screens mounting hardware and everything.....but I tried to get around spending that much.....you cant. Even if you buy computer fans yourself....it cost that much. Heres a website....

http://www.buyextras.com/cafankitwosc.html

save yourself some time....buy these.....and your hood will cool your water insanely......and look good.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

wow that's a good sales pitch right there they should hire you lol. That does look like a really good deal on twin fans.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha im going to school for business management. I just finished my marketing course last night. :) WHOO!!! I wasnt tryin to pitch that though.....theres plenty on the internet....some even have temp probes to put in the water so they turn on when it gets over 78 or 80.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah im confused on what to do, now that it is the winter, WTIH the hood on its at about 71 degrees and in the summer WITHOUT the hood on it gets to be around 81 or so

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ok first off it is not your hood it is not your tank it is the room temp. in the summer time the room temp will increase and so will the tank water the two lvl out. un less you have full climet control on your house it is un avoidibol. the same goes with the winter if you do not hav a tank powerfull enuf for the tank the temp will drop to room temp. i keep my house at 72 at all times and it takes almost 600 watts worth of heating to keep my reef up to 79-80 that a 75g tank with a 30g sump. try turning up your heater or gitting a more powerfull one. but make shour you have a good thermistat so you dont cook your fish. good luck and i hope i helped.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

but having a fan will help circulate hot spots under the hood

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

humm....... like always you guys pull through with the help, ill see what i can do, thanks again

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

hey you going to put fish in ur tank yet bluey

Heat Problems

10 posts