Red Gracilaria Macro

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

Red Gracilaria Macro

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I just put in 1 lb of Red Gracilaria Macro in my fuge and some in my tank. I also have some Ulva and Red Lace Macro in my fuge that I clip and feed my tangs. I'm trying to reduce feeding my tank brine, mysis, and krill to see if that helps reduce my nitrates by feeding my tangs fresh macro instead of any flake food. I'm also hoping that the macro will absorb some of the nitrates that are in my tank. They have been consistently around 20 ppm for the last few months. We already discussed my tangs and overfeeding being an issue.

I heard Chaeto and Xenia scrubbers are the best to reduce nitrates, but do you guys think that this macro will help reduce my nitrate and green hair algae problem.

Also, how do you know when Macro is healthy or dying. Does it stink, melt away, change color etc. I just want to make sure so I don't have any phos or nitrate spikes due to decomposing macro. So far everything looks healthy

Thx

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yes, It will help. How big is your fuge? Make sure you run some good lighting over it. I have two T5's from walmart over my fuge. They consume 14 watts a piece......and put out the equivelent to 250 together. :) Its nice and bright. Macro will wilt like plants.....it will get white tissue etc etc. Put some iron in there. You can buy macro algae supplements......Iron and maganese. I just bought the Kent marine Macro Algae supplement...and it works well with my mangroves. My chaeto wasnt healthy......and it just died up and realeased the junk right back in the aquarium. The Gracilaria is a very nice lookin algae too by the way.......good choice. :)

newbie916

by newbie916

The macro seems to be doing fine and I dropped a handful in my main tank and my tangs have been munchin on it. I usually add Kent Essential elements once a week and I use Red Sea Salt for my water changes, which has all of the trace elements in it. I'll look into the macro supplements to see if I should add some more, but I'll probably wait until everything settles. Thanks

deltasigpony3923

by deltasigpony3923

dont put it right in your display cuz it will over take it really quick put it in a fuge

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Macro should help yur nitrates, but there is a post on here about a scrubber in a bucket that has had really good reviews.

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys, I'll check out the scrubber and I added some Chaeto today in my fuge. My cousin's watching my tank while I'm in Hawaii. I'm lookin forward to seeing what nature reef looks like. Maybe I'll get some ideas.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

pics pics pics .........................of the natural reefs

Red Gracilaria Macro

7 posts