maintaning your salt water tank.... articles

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i think it needs to be updated.
monthly waterchanges..not good
top off weekly....not good...every day
heating device....needs to be done every day
inspection of equipment... every day
the cleaning of accessories.... every month..or better
your tank should never smell bad if it does... that probably means you do waterchanges once a month.and never change/clean media.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

+ if there's something goes wrong, or something just doesn't seems right... DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!! Do some research right away, and ask folks like SaltWP. You can save your livestock + lot os flustration and dissapointment+ some serious amount of dough..
RAR! ( reading, asking, researching)

somalia123

by somalia123

so is doing water changes weekly a good idea?

snowboss

by snowboss

as of right now I have two HOT filters with Ehiem Mech in them no factory cartridges at all- -one has a carbon bag [useing black diamond carbon] every 2 weeks I dump one filter, clean the media and then in two weeks I do the other one - -so basically each filter gets cleaned once a month - -this is not good? what about the crap that gets in them from general cleaning of the tank...I understand the benifiecial bactieria needs top be there but cleaning trash and leaveing bactieria is impossable - - -which brings me back to the theory of the bio wheel style filters???????

dick_headers

by dick_headers

somalia123
SMALL weekly water change is the best idea.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

You can wring out your mechanical media in tank water in a bucket(sponges), shake the detritus of your bio media(noodles,bio max, etc) and the bacteria stay son as long as its tank water, and change chemical media(carbon, chemipure,etc) when necessary depending on your current objectives in your tank.

6 posts