Discus.....ARGGGGHHHHH!!!

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a70m1c

by a70m1c

I have 2 discus in a 4 foot tank (the 2 in my profile pic) they are a reasonable size and both got along really well, no fights ever. so today i picked up 4 more discus. i paid a fortune because i got big ones that are the same size as the 2 already had.

The smaller of the 2 original discus is now constantly chasing the 4 new discus. the bigger one of the original discus dosent seem to really even notice the new 4.

after only a few hours now all 4 of my new discus have nics in their fins.

I under stand that pecking order needs to be established and one of the discus will be an alpha.

i have tried taking all 6 discus out, putting them in bucket of there tank water, rearranging the tank. topping up the tank with some new water and putting them all back in together.

this had no effect on behavior.

has any one else had the same problem? will the aggressiveness reside after a few days?
or dose the single aggressive discus have to go?
my next move was to isolate this problem discus in the same tank with a divider?
but i would rather not as this is hassle and i do not want to inflict any more unneeded stress on the 4 new ones...

ARGHHHH frustrated!!!

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Try giving them a feed - sometimes once they've all eaten a meal together they seem to accept each other.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I realize that discus are relatively large fish and subsequently need a lot of breathing room, but how much cover is in the tank for any of the affected discus to ''hide'' in and if so are they using any to do so?
I have no experience with them but as I understood it best they were well known for being gentle giants, so-to-speak.

a70m1c

by a70m1c

I put the aggressive discus in a box net last night - the type with an open top and attached the suction caps to the top of the tank. I left him/her in there over night and let it out this morning.
its been out for an hour now and all 6 discus are schooling together :-)
i hope it stay this way....will let you know how it goes.

a70m1c

by a70m1c

well it has now been 3 nights and the once aggressive discus has calmed down a fair bit. he/she has only chased the other discus at feeding time ( and for about an hour afterward) last night and tonight. the other 4 discus all have nips in there fins, but not bad enough to be detrimental to their health.

I hope to see him/her calm down more over the next week.

I will leave them be unless i think the fins of the other discus get so bad that there could be a chance of disease or they are looking stressed. they all swim freely with fins spread showing full color so i dont think they are very stressed.

5 posts