Feeding amounts Blenny & Puffer

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

BrenLou7734

by BrenLou7734

Hey everyone. Just curious as to how much I should be feeding mostly my Puffer. The fish shop gave me some frozen shrimp cubes. How many days would one cube last, and do I just put in one cube, or do I cut the cube up and feed little bits of it at a time?

newbie916

by newbie916

I would start out by feeding them 1/4 cube per day and see what happens. The Blenny will eat some of the brine, but is a algae grazer. Just make sure that all of the food is gone within a minute or so. You could also buy some emerald crabs, hermit crabs, nas snails and a cleaner shrimp that will eat any uneaten food. Try not to overfeed the tank because it will increase your phosphates and nitrates, which cause algae blooms.

BrenLou7734

by BrenLou7734

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. VERY helpful. :o)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if you don't have much algae in the tank, get some seaweed prep from your lfs or go to a grocery store that has a decent fresh fish section and ask for the wrapps they use for their sushi......it's kelp or seaweed and much cheaper , comes in sheets like paper, tear off a piece and hold it in the tank under a small rock or get a veggie clip.............he'll love it ......and later on if you get tangs and other fish they will almost fight over it...its like candy

he;s a beauty, we wanna keep him fat-n-happy .........lol

Boss

gdeeber

by gdeeber

If those cubes are frozen you take 1/2 cup of tank water and drop the cube into it and let it melt then pour that into a net and rise with R/O water before you feed it to your fish. the brine solution they use for packing that frozen food is some of the worst stuff you can put into your tank.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

it is called nori.... the seweed that they use for sushi..... if you have a asian market there you should get it there

newbie916

by newbie916

When you buy the Nori, make sure it isn't the seasoned kind. The plain roasted is the one you want. The seasoned version is the best for us to eat. I usually feed that to my tangs along with some fresh macro from my fuge. They love it and it's a lot cleaner than flake food.

7 posts