silicon bubbles.....

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

silicon bubbles.....

by fihsboy

Okay so the new tank I just bought.....has some bubbles in the silicon.......Should I be concerned? Its in the right front side....there is a solid line half way up the aquarium.......but all the silicon is still in tact.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

If the guy has another tank available I'd take it back. Once the tank is full that's alot of pressure you're looking at 8 pounds to the gallon just in water. I wouldn't risk it.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

agreed.............and if water forces the silicon to release............you'll never get it stopped................if you can't exchange the tank, i'd think heavily about taking a razor to it and replaceing the bad seam with new silicon . . . .do the complete seam so it's all uniform not just patched - - -then wait a week before adding any water so it fully cures

schigara

by schigara

I'll second that agreement. It wouldn't suck too much if it started leaking in the first week or so but a year or two down the road and packed full of coral would be a nightmare.

You can use GE Silicone I from the Depot. Be sure not to get GE Silicone II as this is intended for like window or bathroom use and has an anti-bacterial or anti-mildew, i forget which, added in. The GE I is pure 100% silicone with no bad stuff in it.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

wht if you were to just run another bead of silicone over the old one? making sure that you completly cover the old stuff would that work?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The line on the left im not worried about.......easy fix. The line on the right........straight up and down.....THATS what im worried about. Its Straight as a bored......and its what holds the tank together.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

So.....I went back to the shop, They were like nah man it should be okay. It was like that for more than a year and it was fine in the frag tank with customers all over it all the time. So im thinking Im going to slap a new bead of silicone over it. I emailed Oceanic, so we will see what they say. There are no glass companies in town that are willing to try it. (GAY) I have been reading up on how to replace the silicone.......but thats a last resort kinda thing.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I would get him to right that on a signed sheet of paper. So if something does happen you have something to back you up. Shop owners will tell you what ever you want to here just to makethe sale or save having a return.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Im going to fill it up and see what happens.....if im not liking the looks of it....im going to return it. or get store credit for it and get an RO unit. :)

silicon bubbles.....

10 posts