Rapid Coral Death-Need Info

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

pzzarker

by pzzarker

Recently, all my corals in my 29 gallon Biocube started dying off. I have 144w of light, with all levels looking very good. Keep the tank at 78 degrees or so and my two clown fish are doing fine. At this point, all of my coral and even my anemones have died in this tank. Fish are still doing fine, but I can't seem to figure out the problem. Any ideas? I want to get the tank back to normal so I can have coral again. Please help if you can.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

What are you're nitrate and Phos levels ? What is the calcium level and Alk level in the tank ? How long are you keeping you lights on ?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Your main problem could be the hair and other nuisance algaes growing in your tank. that's what I think going by your pictures. If nuisance algaes overgrow corals, it could be pretty much the end for the corals.
IMO

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

The aboveanswers I think are a factor, but i had a out of date test kits that nearly killed my corals, so whn you say all your levels are fine, I would check wth another known source. My post on the forum was called EXPIRED TEST KITS and it will explain more of what happened to my tank.

pzzarker

by pzzarker

Nitrates and phosphates pretty much 0, lights on for 8 hours and blue atinics for 10-12 hrs. levels are good

pzzarker

by pzzarker

The algae had been there for awhile and not been a problem. Also, I had like 7 pieces of coral and they died within days. It was a very rapid death, not slowly over time. How do I keep that algae under control. I have seen other nanos without a spec of algae
Last edited by pzzarker on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schigara

by schigara

Have you recently treated any of the fish with any meds or copper?

pzzarker

by pzzarker

nope, should i? they seem alright

schigara

by schigara

Extreme alkalinity fluctuations is one of the biggest killers of coral. Have you been dosing A and B? What dkh range does the tank normally run?

schigara

by schigara

No, just curious because copper would have explained the rapid die off.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2