Nutrafin CO2 System

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

Nutrafin CO2 System

by Tmercier834747

Anyone use this? I'm barely 2 weeks in my first batch and it seems the yeast is already dead...Nutrafin claimed it would last at least 28 days..

Should I consider adding some yeast to the mixture/using store bought yeast instead of the stuff they give you in packets? Will adding more yeast just cause it to ''burn out'' faster and create too much CO2 for my little tank to handle?

I'm more than happy with the hardware (well, the ladder is a bit of a pain, as it tried to eat a tetra a couple times lol) but the ''reactor'' is small enough to clip on behind my tank so I know I won't be knocking it over and kicking all kinds of crap into the tank and I know I won't have to replace the lid. Woot. These little packets of baking powder and yeast seem probably out of date if not just half useless. It takes well over 24 hours just for the mix to get bubbles moving out..I figured since its reacting that slow it -should- have lasted a full month...no soup for me. -.-

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeast is a tricky thing, easy to kill....

WillowRose7398

by WillowRose7398

I'm having sort of the same problem, mine STILL isn't even giving out any bubbles and has been set up 48hrs now. Maybe my yeast is already dead too, as I opened up the fermentation canister to have a look and nothing seemed to be happening compared to when I first added water, when the whole thing was bubbling.

I have seen good working ones though, but I think the yeast/activator has to DEFINITELY be in date. That may be our problem.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah..I checked the packets as an afterthought (impatience will get you everytime lol) and realized that they went out of date in '06, since then I went out and got dried baker's yeast. It will burn out faster than the stuff they have in the packets (1-3 weeks) but you'll have bubbles within 40 minutes or less..

The stuff in the other packet is just baking soda. you can measure exact amounts with those little measuring spoons if you wanna replicate the formula nutrafin uses and buy your own stuff instead of buying their expensive little packets..

That's a nice looking tank you've got.

WillowRose7398

by WillowRose7398

Ooo thanks for the tip!
How much bakers yeast/baking soda do you use for the best effect?

And thanks so much!! :D I'm rather annoyed with it- its my 3rd tank but with this one everyhting seems to be going wrong!
Yours is also absolutely gorgeous- I <3 your dwarf puffer!!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Willow sorry I took so long, I just noticed this got buried hehe.

I use sugar/water like indicated inside the container and find that somwhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp (closer to 1/4) of yeast works best. I get a good bubble count, and the yeast doesn't die off quite so fast as if I use a full 1/2 tsp. I haven't been using any baking soda as this is only really necessary if your water is really hard. Don't ask me to explain why. lol

celticwraith

by celticwraith

I know a guy that uses brewing yeast. He measures it out the same, but I'm not sure how long it goes for before he has to start fresh.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

yeah, I actually had a post about that in ''general'' everyone recommeded I seek out a microbrewery which I have yet to do since all the liquor stores in town I checked didn't know wth I was talking about. lol

Nutrafin CO2 System

8 posts