Sumps/Fuges Rock

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nicholas542

Sumps/Fuges Rock

by nicholas542

I've had my new 20 gallon long sump up for 2 days now, and already seeing nitrate levels of practically zero. I went from levels around 20 which is orange in color on the test kit to bright yellow which indicates zero nitrates. I used 40lbs. of Agri-Live sand that comes with vaccum sealed saltwater, and bacteria. The bag was like $50.00 at my LFS then I put my soccerball sized clump of chaetomorphae algae in the fuge. I also have some new addition to the tank comming hopefully this Friday a Bright orange sun coral, 25+ Devil Red zoa's, and 6+ blue stripped mushrooms. No pics yet I'll get some with my sisters digital when she comes home from college ( since mine was stolen )

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

good to here, get those pics up..

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I'll try and post some pics tommarow when my sister brings her digital camera. I got some new corals, finished the sump, and rearanged the rock work.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I'm happy for you. I had the same result after set up my 1st refg. Whenever you'll have pods in there, your corals will be so much happier and brighter. Good for you.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

serious question. now that I have my new sump up and running for a couple days my seaclone protein skimmer isn't pulling out much of anything. before the sump my skimmer use to pull out waste like a madman. is it ok to remove my protein skimmer from my system? another question i put my hydrometer in the sump to get constant readings. it not really a in-tank hydrometer will it still give me acurate readings?

nicholas542

by nicholas542

finally here's the pic of the new fuge
827db-sump pic.jpg

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Nicholas542:

Nice sump. When I first installed my sump I experanced the same thing with my skimmer but after a while the skimmer started to produce skim mate again. when your refugium gets pods growing in there you will start to see more skim mate and coral line algae.

Sumps/Fuges Rock

7 posts