New Tank Owner... strange species

24 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

BrenLou7734

by BrenLou7734

Hi everyone, Im brand new here, and new to owning a marine/saltwater tank.

I bought home my live rock, and a critter has come along with it. Ive only ever seen either its head poking out, or its tail. So its head has two boggly eyes on stalks- very boggly!!! then its front legs-if thats what they are- are quite big, and then its tail tapers down and has sort of a horizontal paddle on it. Im SURE this is the critter that makes a "click click" noise every now an then.

I need help determining what it is, and if its ok to keep in there.

i also have what looks to be a "hairy crab"- also safe to keep?!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

You have a mantis shrimp, i think..google it and let us know

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

dangerously beautiful creatures - -do a youtube search as well........you'll love it or hate it

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Piece of shit those things, but yes a mantis shrimp. One of the best escapees you will ever come across. Dont touch it with bare hands, will click a hole right through it. Can smash glass if provoked enough. Eat crustations, like crabs and stuff. Here is a pick of one i had, not real clear but you can see him sticking out the middle of the rock. HE STILL EVADES ME AFTER ^6MTHS OF JABBING SCREW DRIVERS INTO HIS HOLE> He just attacks them, they make caves all through the LR
6ce13-26112008.jpg

BrenLou7734

by BrenLou7734

Do u know how much u have scared me?
It can smash a hole in my hand? and the glass? oh no, he sounds like bad news :o( I dont like the sound of him making holes in my LR, is that what the tapping sound is? He is renovating, in a bad way!!!

I cant really make out the evil shrimp in the pic. I think I can hear him laughing though. :p

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

did you check out any of the youtube videos??

you can buy a trap for them .............ive never had one .......... but i guess the traps work..................some people keep them on purpose, but thats the only thing in the tank and they make sure of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkv_30niM_A

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

hey its the holidays, go ahead and have some fun killing it, throw some water proof firecrackers in your tank and see what happens haha am i a bad influence?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

just grab it...hehe
0fbde-100_0387.JPG

fihsboy

by fihsboy

pimp....your a brave man. Thats probably the only creature I wouldnt handle...I got a long spine urchin out at the fish shop for the owner..he was busy so he asked me if i minded....but damn.....I wouldnt pull out a mantis.Unless i wanted to check my blood sugar.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

it's a baby, mantis have to get quite large for them to do knuckle busting damage...i think ?.
set a trap in your tank you will get him..

24 posts • Page 1 of 3