well guys..great news..or is it?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

well here it is. tank is about 2 weeks old. i have a fluval 305 on a 30g so its more then enough power ;] so my cycle was started with live rock and live sand.. so. i did as supposed. waited till my ammonia spiked and the nitrate and nitrite also spiked. then i waited till they both went down to zero. i gave it 2 days more just to make sure and they have not gone up. sooo i think its a safe time to start adding some live stock. how does dat sound?

i know i kno two weeks is too fast for a tank to cycle. but ive been to 6 diff lfs and asked around online and i was told that if my filter is larger then necesarry for my tank it will speed up the process. so any input?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you should hold off, let you tank establish a little longer. nothing happens fast in a swft. exept death! not what u wanna here but thats what i would do.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

being as u have more experience then me lol. ill go with ur advice. guess it wont hurt to let it chill out for a bit more.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

AMEN eazy,
DO NOT rush it- after a crazy 8 weeks I have killed 100 dollars worth of fish, learned WAY to much to fast the hard way and have reconfigured the tank and I'm in a new cycle right now - - not even gonna entertain a fish for another 3-4 weeks and my water is in good shape right now with 40lbs of live sand and 15 lbs of live rock in a 20 gallon tank, and I'll be scared then ..lol PATIENCE my friend and gleen all the advice you can from the people in here, it's priceless - - BUT - make your own choices with the information provided you , or it's not your tank....it's ours ...LOL good luck - - the Boss

Tizz

by Tizz

I'm also new to the saltwater world, so I won't attempt to give you too much advice. The only thing I would say is that if you plan to buy more Live Rock, you should do it now, and let it cure itself in your tank. They say it helps with the cycle, and it atleast gave me somethings to watch while waiting for the cycle to finish. Good luck!!!

5 posts