FREE fish

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

acerkai640

FREE fish

by acerkai640

so my customer (the one that gave me his old salt tank) just called me and told me he is getting out of the hobby and said i can have all of his fish and rock work (he doesnt have much) a few fish and prob like 10-15lbs of rock work. but the problem is that i dont have a tank setup yet. what is the best way to get his fish and keep them alive or do i have to cycle the tank and everything. i would have to set up a temp tank, seeing i dont have money yet to set up the big one yet.

what is the bare min of stuff i would need to get a temp tank up and running?

i have a pump and a ocean clear filter and the main tank and also a 30gal sitting empty,

can i set up the 30gal and just put the ocean clear on it with some live rock and do that or is it just a waste?
thanks

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I think you'd be ok with real saltwater you can buy at fishstores. Catlina or something like that. If it'd be only live rocck, you'd be ok. with freshly set up water, but you'd loose probably most all the coralline algaes.( if there's any)
You could set up you 30G that way. If there's a saltwater store near to you, ask them for some"used" saltwater, and there you go.

deltasigpony3923

by deltasigpony3923

if you move all is stuff and his water you would be just fine

acerkai640

by acerkai640

so like when they clean out there tanks maybe?

and well the tank was used as a fresh tank like 6 months ago and has been empty since.

but wont my tank go thro a cycle period like fresh and well i dont want the fish to die.

deltasigpony3923

by deltasigpony3923

with old water and the same rock if you keep the changes to a minimum then you might have a very small cycle but im pretty sure that you will be fine i just upgraded my tank and i added 100+ gallons of new water to my old and every thing loos good in my tank

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Whenever you move a tank, or move water from one tank to another, there's a small mini cycle almost every cases. Most of them are fast, and ammonia, nitrite won't reach toxic levels.
Now I only heard that those real saltwater you can buy,you'll be able to set up a system right away, so you don't have to cyccle. But IMO it'll will cyccle but it'll unnoticable for your livestock. Mucch safer thana freshly mixed set up.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

my LFS sells saltwater that they have already mixed and use in all of there tanks, if i was to buy that would i be ok or should i ask them for there old water?

what about buying live sand and it not being used at all first?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

It'd be the perfect set up for you. Live rock,live sand, and used saltwater.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

ok what about filtration all i have is an ocean clear and it has that silly cartrigage filter, is there a better setup or is that fine for now?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

it'll be ok right now.

FREE fish

11 posts • Page 1 of 2