nitrate spike

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well littlej, schigara does indeed know what he is talking about...... i know i must be cool to own a shark, literally, but the fact of the matter is that unless you also own sea world its probably not a good idea to keep one. Dont take schigaras advice harshly, hes been a dick to me before but it was only in the love of reefing.... needless to say hes more informational than about 85% of the people on here

fihsboy

by fihsboy

hey hey hey now......85%? Nah im just messin hes got more info than about 95% haha. After you start reefing and holding these precious creatures over time. Drop a couple grand......and you really start appreciating what you do and what nature is. I used to mess with my tank every day....and now I dont touch it....I let it take its course.....and watch. I look at it probably 2 hours a day. And your probably thinking..........What the FU@# could you watch for 2 hours every day. My clowns are starting to get all lovey dovey......they lay down on my sand bed at night and sleep. My scooter buries himself everynight and my six line wrasse incases himself in a bubble and lays on the bottom.......he looks dead....but he gets up every morning. Corals are growing at explosive rates....every weak i notice a few new heads on my zoos. I had four new heads pop up on my mean green this week. But basically......schigara is protective.......as all of us are. My lfs has a shark in his tank........but its a 500 gallon frag tank. so its his whole back room. Plenty of room for him to swim. I feel bad for having four fish in my 29 gallon. Its way too much....I shouldnt have but two at the most. You can push the envelope with your tank........just dont make your inhabitants suffer.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

how much do you recommend i feed them in one day? They eat everything I put in there in less than a minute.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

of course they do...fish are greedy little bastards. I could feed my fish for 10 minutes and they wouldnt slow down. I feed 4-8 small pellets per fish daily. Or I throw a cube of brine shrimp in every other day.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Thats why i like shigara...lol...tell it how it is brother...

swp

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you know i coulda swore we had this converstaion when he was thinking about getting the shark, i think that most of us told him not to... oh well

littlej2455

by littlej2455

i am not having a problem raising the shark. He is very healthy and happy. I have been to numerous websites and have talked to many professionals about sharks and they all said that it would be fine. I didnt just jump into it, I did my research. Actually, when I was on this website rating fish tanks I saw that someone had a bamaboo cat shark in a 60 gallon tank. That is below the minimum tank size which is 115 gallon.

schigara

by schigara

Other than having high nitrates, I am sure the small shark is fairing quite well for now.

Usually, aquarists learn how to control simple things like nitrates before they attempt to keep more difficult things like LPS, SPS corals and sharks or rays, etc..

Minimum tank sizes are usually very under rated by retailers, which is where most get their information about tank size requirements.

nitrate spike

18 posts • Page 2 of 2