Starting a Marine Tank, any help please

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jmclark

by jmclark

Hi there, im hopeing to start up a marine tank, as i live close to the sea, and catch many luttle creatures in the pots, i have a Aqua One Rengency 120 Tank which holds 300 litres, i also have a Beer cooler, and the tank is nearly set up, but my question is about the marine salt you can buy to make up the water,
Is this safe for the fish i would catch straight out of the sea, i would rather mix my own up, even though i live near the sea, as i wouldnt want to keep getting water every week or so.

any help would be great

Many Thanks
James
4bae9-2008-10-2102BareNaked.jpg

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well....I wish I lived close enough to get water from the ocean......and I have..But its not worth the 30 minute drive unless im getting 10+ buckets. I mix my own saltwater...and its identical to sea water.......supposedly. Nothing will get hurt in it at all. Just make sure you use Reverse Osmosis water, so its nice and prestine. Nice looking tank there. What kinda filter and protein skimmer are you going to run? Reef tank.......fish only? Fish only with live rock? If you are close enough to get it from the sea......thats where I would get it. Its.......FREE. but if you want to be technical it could bring parasites.......blah blah blah. I have used sea water......I just dont find it economical to drive to the beach to get it. When I get it.......I get it out of the sea grass beds......no nitrates no phosphates no pollution. But you would be fine mixing it yourself, and all the little critters would be fine too.

jmclark

by jmclark

Thanks for the reply, ive got a Aqua One CF1200 Filter, not sure about the skimmer yet, any suggestions? going to go a fish and live rock , i think, buts its only at the planning stage!.
What do you suggest about water changes? how much and when?, Just trying to gather all the info i can,

Cheers James

TheCoralReef

by TheCoralReef

10% water change weekly for a healthy reef

4 posts