General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 8 of 18

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

ummm the name of the stuff is ultimate water conditioner I believe?

miami754

by miami754

I always use API and have never had a problem. Just make sure you get the tests with the liquid drops.

miami754

by miami754

What does the water conditioner say on it? I mean what does it claim to do besides remove chlorine and chloramines?

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

to be honest with you, I don't have the bottle, I was pretty short on cash yesterday and he just gave me as much as I would need. the guy doesn't take credit cards and I was in a hurry.

miami754

by miami754

That's fine. In the future, just get one that removes chlorine and chloramines. You don't need all the rest of the stress coat, blah, blah, blah crap.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

I think that's all that it does do from what I looked up online.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

could it be the start of ICK possibly i know miami you said that flashing is normal in ciclids but from that i know rubbing against rocks is one of the first sighns of ich

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, it can be, but you can't go treating for it every time you see a cichlid flash. If it is ich, wait until you see the salt crystals and then treat up through when they are free swimming. You won't be able to kill the parasite now anyways - it has to be free swimming to die. As long as it is attached to a host, the fish's slime coat protects it. So even if it turns out to be ich, treating now is worthless and in fact harmful to the fish because you are guessing.

If I had to guess (I know I said not to guess above - ironic), I bet you irritated them with the high spike. Cichlids flash all the time and they are probably doing more so now because the spike got out of hand. Try the water changes and keep watching them. Do not use flashing as a diagnostic tool - it doesn't work. Also, I would throw away the strip tests and get the drops. Then tell us what your "real" reading is.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

how do I know when they're free floating? a couple times I saw what appeared to be lil air bubbles in there and the fish ate them. just like once or twice I caught it. Could that be ich?

miami754

by miami754

No, no, no. You can't see them when they are free floating. You only know because it is the phase in their life cycle after they have released from the host fish. The only reason it is important is because many people will see the salt-like spots on their fish and then treat them until they disappear. This does nothing. Instead what you have to do is keep medicating for several days afterwards to kill them when they are free floating. If you have ich you will see it as little white salt-like spots on your fish. if you don't see this in a couple of days then they don't have it.

General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 8 of 18