It is green hair algae

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

It is green hair algae

by newbie916

I did some searching online and noticed that my green s**t is green hair algae. I cut back my feedings today, but what else could I do to help speed up the process of getting rid of the stuff?

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

if it green hair git a yellow tang or a shit load of hermit crabs and git it under control as soon as you can green hair dont stop. and will kill everything if left out of check. i lost all my reef because of it :( . it over grow and engolfed the entire tank.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

newbie,

Do you have well balanced alkalinity and calcium levels?8-12DKH/380-450ppm
Well balanced calc/alk makes big different. Hair algae can easily die off, and coralline will start to grow.

newbie916

by newbie916

I have over 200 hermits a yellow,sailfin, and hippo tang. None of them eat the stuff. I've tried every cleaning crew member you could think of.

My Calcium level is about 425-450 ppm and my alk is around 9. Hopefully, cleaning my phos reactor and cutting back a little on my feeding will get this stuff under control. I'll also make sure my calcium stays at 450ppm.

newbie916

by newbie916

Lionlord,

Sorry to hear about your tank. I could see how the green algae could over take your tank and kill everything. Fortunately, my green hair algae hasn't really increased, but it's been steady and comes back in the same spots.

thx,

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I too have a battle with green hair algae so far i'm winning. I took out all the rock work and scrubed the shit out of it to get all that crap off. Then I did what dick_headers said I checked may alk/calc. levels and it's finally dying off. I have a full cleanup crew including two emerald crabs, and they wouldn't keep the crap under control. That's the only algae prob i have now is the green hair to tackle. I've gone through the first brown, then a redslime outbreak, now hair algae.

It is green hair algae

6 posts