Eco-Aqualizer

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

Give it a try. I can't think of a single tank of the month owner at RC that uses one but.....ya never know.

Back to being serious, I have never heard of this this until now but 5 minutes of searching reveals it has been ridiculed by most all serious reef aquarists for the past 2 years.

schigara

by schigara

When you say "green shit", are you talking about green hair algae? If so, get rid of the 3 Tangs. What size tank to you have? With a Sailfin, Yellow and a Hippo, you should have a 210 or bigger. Most likely you have a much smaller tank.

Green hair algae can be a serious bitch to get rid of. Many things contribute to it.

If you eventually want SPS, don't concentrate on fish. Especially don't concentrate on one of the biggest waste producing fish like Tangs! Tangs are nasty. The little bit of algae they eat off the rock doesn't counter the amount of waste they add that fuels the algae in the tank. They are counter productive, in this regard.

Use RO/DI water with 0 tds.

Use a reactor with GFO media.

don't use flake or pellet foods.....use frozen foods and rinse them with ro/di

use large turbo snails to mow down the existing hair algae.

get rid of the Tangs

feed very sparingly right now, like every 3-5 days at most

have enough water flow in tank where you never see crap collecting anywhere

you should be able to clean a thick film of brown stuff from the skimmer neck every other day

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

hey I was just thinking about that Eco thing maybe if it was in line with your skimmer inlet it might make a diffrence,because they work on the same principle of polarity but I have no clue its just an idea

snowboss

by snowboss

sounds like some sort of modified UV light to me...............or maybe even a UV light with a fancy sticker on it - - - - In all my years restoring and playing with sports cars of various types and styles,i've learned that if you put a 300 dollar Borlla muffler on a honda civic..................that doesn't make it a sports car............lol

PS...........stickers don't make em faster either kids.....hahahahahaha

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

My tank is a 100 gallon with a 30 gallon refugium. I'm growing some macro algae in my fuge and I'm getting my Xenia up and running. it has a 2" LS. I've been cleaning out a good amount of green crap from my skimmer every other day along with cleaning my filter sock. I think your right about my tangs because I have plenty of LR and LS a phosban reactor and do 20% water changes every other week. I use Red Sea Salt along with RO/DI water. I have a few hundred hermits, several emerald crabs, several various shrimps, and a few hundred various snails. I did a little over kill on the cleaning crew because I thought they would eat the green shit. They would rather eat eachother.(bastards)

I've pretty much tried everything in the book, but the green shit won't go away. I feed my fish two cubes of brine a day and phytofeast and rotofilers for my corals every other day. I tried cutting back on their feeding, but I noticed my tangs started fighting and my yellow tang was beat up after a few weeks. Someone even ate my bi-colored blenny. I think it was my 12" rose bubble tip, damn thing eats two large silversides every other day. If I don't feed him, he stings the crap out of my other corals.

The next step is to get rid of two of my tangs. I think the yellow and sailfin will have to go. My son really likes the Hippo and he likes watching them swim around. Unless the nifty Eco-Aqualizer really works.haha I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Maybe, I'll just have to settle without SPS's for now and deal with a high nutrient tank with LPS's and fish. I'll probably set up a 34 gallon Red Sea Max in my office in January for my SPS fettish.haha No fishies in that one.

Thanks guys,

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i dont know if you stated it already ............but how long has this tank been running and how long after the initial start up did you start adding stock {of anykind}??

it really almost sounds to me like the tank didn't cycle fully and you've been fighting that all along .....................if you can afford the redsea max right now or even a petsmart 55 gallon cheapo..............set it up and cycle it with sand, a couple HOB throw away filters and transfer the most you dare out of the 100 for a few weeks and let the 100 cycle correctly - - - do you have anyone close that could "babysit" some of the larger fish so you don't have to get rid of them perminantly? I don't think your stock is to much....it just sounds like the tank can't catch up with it .........even with this eco thing i would try to lighten the load in there for a few weeks ........just a thought...............

Boss

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i hate to say it, but 6 months is a good cycle time IMO...............i know we and everyone says 3-6 weeks, but it has been a year on my 20long and its only been pretty stable for a couple months now...........so thats more like 7-8 months for a good hard solid cycle to stability

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

They phyto feast is killing you. I use it once a week....and i only dose a small portion. I turn off my skimmer for a few hours....and dose it in. Its just long enough for my rotifiers to survive and flourish. Too much of this stuff will put an insane amount of nutrients in your tank. My lfs doesnt feed the tank but once a week. Hes got a 125 that he feeds just the fish once a week. No other additives besides calcium and alkalinity. He has some of the most gorgeous corals and sps with insane grow rates. When the fish crap....they feed the corals. You dont really need all the other stuff. I use phytofeast to make the rotifiers grow to feed my scooter blenny.....which is really a dragonette..which I didnt know until AFTER I bought him. Anyways, cut back on the phytofeast a little bit and just kick back and wait. I am still having algae blooms......10 months after set up, and I only feed twice a week.

newbie916

by newbie916

My tank's been set up for about 8 months now and it was established for 18 months with the previous owner. The tangs, chromi, and damsel came with the set up along with a majority of the LR and LS. I do notice the algae tends to bloom after I feed the phytofeast. I have four clams, would it be safe to only put the phytofeast in there once a week? It could be still cycling and I have noticed a decrease in algae since I added 40 more lbs of LS to my tank a few weeks ago. I've also been doing 15-20 gallon water changes every other week. My corals and fish seem to be doing fine. I just don't like the look of the green algae. It looks like cotton balls on my rock and back walls.

Eco-Aqualizer

19 posts • Page 2 of 2