quick delima, one problem sovled, another arises...

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

k so i got that bastard shrimp out and got 2.50 for him at my lfs, ended up comming home with 6 nassarious snails (sp?), two turbo snails, pretty big, and 10 blue leg hermits, had to rearrange all my live rock however...
the problem would be..
I have been getting ready to buy my AquaC protein skimmer for like a month now but i talked to the owner of hte lfs and they get live rock in every 3 months on average... they are getting about 500 lbs on friday..... damn..... i have about 35 lbs in my 70 gal tank right now...... wtf do i do..... :))

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Well if what you are saying, is that you are tossing up on weather to buy the rock or the skimmer, I would say the rock. Fill that tank right up with rock, and it will help your filtration naturally. Buy your skimmer later. Get some live stock in there. Not heaps but some and get used to keeping them. Then worry about a skimmer. heck some people dont even use the and swear buy LR as a natural biological filter. The way i see it is, you have not much in there to justify a high waste removal (skimmer) at the moment so rock will benefit more to your situation dude.
Puff

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

and also, are you having trouble with your brown diatom algae on your substrate. Golden headed sleeper gobies will fix that up a treat. They need a 2inch plus sand bed to survive, but they will sift through that sand and make it crystal clean

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

idk..my gut says skimmer but , i still find my self getting more rock..hehe,and i have no skimmer. if you are in no hurry to stock the tank with corals and dont mind the algae blooms , get the rock, but if you want a crystal clear tank with 35 lbs of rock get the skimmer

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

haha.me and puff posted the same time..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I bought all my rock before i went with a skimmer.....and then i got rid of my skimmer for two months....it can be done.....you just have to do a water change every other week. 10% is sufficient. 20% if your ambitious. you have a 70.......so I would just do a 10-15 gallon change every two weeks until you get a skimmer. you would be fine. btw your a lucky sob....i would kill for that size tank. haha. the live rock possibilties are endless. Do you have a sump? Try to go skimmerless.......run an algae screen and a mangrove sump.....you would have NO nitrates and NO phosphates....cant complain there. Screw the protein skimmer....with my algae and mangroves......my skimmer doesnt do much at all.....but it does still do something.....ill give it that.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

100% clear with what you have skimmer.
More LR and clear water LR now.
Did you know snowbosses neighbor has 3 rabbits......................

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

wow 3 rabbits...fishboy what kind of skimmer do you have ?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah its not like i have any fish.... or corals for that matter...... or anything that doesnt clean up its own shit and eat it haha....... the animals i have are considered "clean up crews" so i dont have any waste...... my water is crystal clear as it is right now.....to sum it up i just really want more " toys" in this case live rock haha

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I'm with Puff, I'd go with the rocks. Buy as much as you want and stop. Let the system establish for a while. You can take some out later if you willing to add corals..

11 posts • Page 1 of 2